A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Kevin Porter is a good friend of mine. He was supporting me with my book.
This book is dedicated to all people, interested in learning something about color genetics.
Even if you might think you already know a lot, I can guarantee you, there are some mutations, you haven't heard off yet and aren't included in any calculator. ;)
I probably have some mutations in my barn you haven’t heard of... :lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

Is this the first time you have posted on this thread?

I don’t recall seeing you here before. I get a tad irritated when someone just drops in to post spam.

I know I don’t read every post here, but I do read 95% or better. So if I am mistaken I apologize, my memory isn’t what it use to be.

I am curious what your training and experience is in genetics and turkey color in particular. I applaud you for writing a book, I do not seem to have the time nor discipline to write one.

I don’t see “Dr.” In front of your name or PHD behind it as one normally sees on a book of this type. Unless I was required to have this book for a college class, I would need background before parting with my few remaining shekels.

BTW did you know R2elk published a book? His is a great book, the WW and I refer to it often. He is eminently qualified to have written it by the simple fact his cooking hasn’t killed him, yet. :bow :bow
Indeed and I do not charge $45 for that book.

I am curious why I should pay that much for a book when I can use Porter's Turkey Color Calculator for free?
Not everyone is as handy with the calculator as you are.... I know you helped me understand it much better and have greatly inspired my turkey endeavors.

We hosted a butcher day here yesterday. Had one guy bring 2 broad breasted that he fed out, one dressed out at 47.5 pounds! The other was easily 40 pounds, we forgot to weigh it.... another guy contacted me about butchering his 3 broad breasted and then when I told him it would be a $50 donation for us to process them decided we could just have them .... some folks around here are interesting. The first guy was a huge help(we butchered 4 cornish cross and 5 roosters from our pens) he stayed and helped with everything! Very excited to learn. I love to help folks who are actually interested in learning how to process. Our set up gives them a good idea of what can be used and we help them move the birds through the process in a timely manor so that everything is safe.
I have one friend who likes to come help and she is a doll! Between her and my girls we can usually knock out 20 to 30 cornish cross in a day.
I must be weird because I get a sense of satisfaction from a good butcher day. Maybe its just the quiet in the pens later from having less birds? Especially roosters... lol

You folks have been a huge influence on our little operation and I wish to convey my thanks to all of you! I know my turkey operation would not be the same without you

Not everyone is as handy with the calculator as you are.... I know you helped me understand it much better and have greatly inspired my turkey endeavors.

We hosted a butcher day here yesterday. Had one guy bring 2 broad breasted that he fed out, one dressed out at 47.5 pounds! The other was easily 40 pounds, we forgot to weigh it.... another guy contacted me about butchering his 3 broad breasted and then when I told him it would be a $50 donation for us to process them decided we could just have them .... some folks around here are interesting. The first guy was a huge help(we butchered 4 cornish cross and 5 roosters from our pens) he stayed and helped with everything! Very excited to learn. I love to help folks who are actually interested in learning how to process. Our set up gives them a good idea of what can be used and we help them move the birds through the process in a timely manor so that everything is safe.
I have one friend who likes to come help and she is a doll! Between her and my girls we can usually knock out 20 to 30 cornish cross in a day.
I must be weird because I get a sense of satisfaction from a good butcher day. Maybe its just the quiet in the pens later from having less birds? Especially roosters... lol

You folks have been a huge influence on our little operation and I wish to convey my thanks to all of you! I know my turkey operation would not be the same without you
I only process one bird at a time. The local residents thoroughly understand what is going on and the day following a processing day is always much calmer among the residents.

I only process one bird at a time. The local residents thoroughly understand what is going on and the day following a processing day is always much calmer among the residents.
I fully believe that if we are going to heat that much water we may as well use it! Lol

Besides I probably have 30 roosters that could be invited to dinner tomorrow and I would still have plenty for any breeding I want to do:D

Butcher days are not as enjoyable as they use to be for me.
However. It is so satisfying knowing I have raised a great food for my family and friends.

I have found the best way to reduce my flock is give them to @holm25 they will be dead shortly in some unique and interesting way. Mainly a new predator or Grandpa solved a behavior problem in the flock. :lau :lau :lau :lau

I fully believe that if we are going to heat that much water we may as well use it! Lol
The difference here is that there is only me and I greatly prefer fresh over frozen.

As a child, I got lots of ecperience processing many birds at a time. I was also the official hatchetman at an early age.

Butcher days are not as enjoyable as they use to be for me.
However. It is so satisfying knowing I have raised a great food for my family and friends.

I have found the best way to reduce my flock is give them to @holm25 they will be dead shortly in some unique and interesting way. Mainly a new predator or Grandpa solved a behavior problem in the flock. :lau :lau :lau :lau
I fully appreciate you sharing your experiences here with us and feel so blessed just to be allowed to participate.

Sorry I get mushy but you have been a huge influence on so many here.

Thank you

The difference here is that there is only me and I greatly prefer fresh over frozen.

As a child, I got lots of ecperience processing many birds at a time. I was also the official hatchetman at an early age.
My youngest dd takes on that task, we use the pipe cutters we heard about on this forum and boy does it make life easier!

Back
Top Bottom