A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Hey guys, got a quick question.

My 7 y.o BR hen developed a sore on her foot a couple weeks ago. At first it looked like she'd just scraped off the scales, but on closer inspection it must be scaly leg mites. This afternoon she began running around like a maniac, stopping every few seconds to pick at her toes. I soaked her legs, scrubbed them, and applied a thick coat of bag balm all the way up to the hock.

She is still in extreme discomfort and won't stop running / pacing, even when confined. IS there anything I can do to give her immediate relief? We're experiencing 95+ F temperatures. She is going to give herself heat stroke at this rate.
Can you get a picture?
Do do you have a pool for the birds to wade in? I’d think the cool water would give relief.

My 7 y.o BR hen developed a sore on her foot a couple weeks ago. At first it looked like she'd just scraped off the scales, but on closer inspection it must be scaly leg mites. This afternoon she began running around like a maniac, stopping every few seconds to pick at her toes. I soaked her legs, scrubbed them, and applied a thick coat of bag balm all the way up to the hock.

She is still in extreme discomfort and won't stop running / pacing, even when confined. IS there anything I can do to give her immediate relief? We're experiencing 95+ F temperatures. She is going to give herself heat stroke at this rate.
@casportpony

Can you get a picture?
Do do you have a pool for the birds to wade in? I’d think the cool water would give relief
I'll try to get one up either tonight or tomorrow.

No, but we do have a pond... I just got done checking up on her and I think she went into the mud. She's still picking at her toes, but at least she isn't making hot laps around the farmyard.

Pictures please.:D

i have set up a sprinkler as well for all my birds and everyone is out so they can seek the coolest places in the yard. so far i have lost 3 hens to heat stroke and this constant pounding heat wave is getting old.
Also bumble foot turkey is doing really well and other than a bit of scarring has healed up completely. due to the soaking and extra attention, bumble foot turkey is really quite a friendly bird.

Im looking into getting a mister of some sort. Ive read a lot of horror stories of losing birds to heat stroke and it would devastate me. I go out multiple times a day now to make sure theyre all active and sometimes I'll mist them with the hose, which they hate. A few of them will wade in the plastic pool or water tubs but I've only seen 3 of the 6 use it.

Need to get some new electrolytes too to put in one of the waterers. Been feeding watermelons ansd romaine fairly often too.

I have never used this till today. Im worried about my flock over heating. Has anyone used this product? I put it in all the waterers this morning. Going to be over 100°f and I have no idea how bad the heat index will be today. I did Google the product but I was wondering if anyone here used it or have tried it.
Rooster Booster
Vitamin & Electrolytes
With Lacto Bacillus

i have set up a sprinkler as well for all my birds and everyone is out so they can seek the coolest places in the yard. so far i have lost 3 hens to heat stroke and this constant pounding heat wave is getting old.
Also bumble foot turkey is doing really well and other than a bit of scarring has healed up completely. due to the soaking and extra attention, bumble foot turkey is really quite a friendly bird.
Sorry about your hens. Happy to here about bumble foot.
This heat is bad for sure. Everyone are already panting this morning at 8.. I think I will put up another fan today. At least the nights are cool. Gives the flock a break..

Back
Top Bottom