A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

They are animals. There is nothing wrong with them. They do what comes naturally to them, not what people think they should do.
I agree with you sir. I was just making light of how a lot of animals know a camera is there. The toms will strut in front of it and a lot of other animals seem to know it's there. I love to see the behaviors of the wild animals that I might never see in person! Pretty sure I got some whitetails mating last fall.

The turkeys sure tried to "sneak" up on it. When it shows up during the daytime after all the turkeys come down from the rafters, they make racket but don't bother it.
Even though they're small compared to a turkey, it wouldn't surprise me at all for a Sharp-shinned to try and take a poult. I'm sure your birds realize it as a threat and are letting everyone know.

I've had a couple close encounters with Sharp-shinned Hawks. One time we had one around our house for a couple weeks that was really bold and when I watched it closely I realized it only had one eyeball! :eek: Like empty eye socket! I watched it catch a sparrow up close after chasing it under my truck and walking around on the ground until the sparrow lost its nerve and tried to fly out. He was a survivor!

Another time I was squirrel hunting and saw movement in the tree tops that looked just like a group of 4-5 squirrels. I never saw anything for sure and followed them below the ridge for a while until a whole family of Sharp-shinned Hawks busted out and it was like they were playing or something. Kinda chasing each other around and one saw me, broke off and landed about 10 feet from me on a limb. It just sat there for a while and watched me, preened, and finally took off. Something to remember for sure!

Does anyone know what this tom is doing displaying while laying down? I've always been interested in wild turkeys and I've learned a lot the past couple years by watching the trail cam pics and videos, but I've never seen this behavior before? He's in an all-male group.View attachment 3429648
They just do it sometimes tbh. My tom puffs up the moment he sees me, laying down or not. Just wants to look handsome probably.

Speaking of the son
20230308_143844.jpg

They just do it sometimes tbh. My tom puffs up the moment he sees me, laying down or not. Just wants to look handsome probably.

Speaking of the son
View attachment 3432233
I showed my daughter your avatar. She loves your neon vaporwave style turkey! It is both adorable and playful and a lovely piece of digital art.

I showed my daughter your avatar. She loves your neon vaporwave style turkey! It is both adorable and playful and a lovely piece of digital art.
haha thank you so much! that's very sweet. : ) i don't draw as often as i used to, but it's still fun to dabble in every now and then! glad she likes it!

Back
Top Bottom