A chickens christmas present

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bobthebunny, Dec 24, 2014.

1. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    So i have 6 girls and i forgot to get them treats for Christmas so i was wondering what household foods could i use to make them a type of trail mix? im gonna crush up a nature valley bar and slice up an apple into tiny slices and mix it in honey any other ideas?[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I make mine a really nice treat with birdseed and bacon grease. Take the bacon grease right after you make bacon and pour it into a bowl with the birdseed. The grease will harden and all the seed will stick together to make a really nice treat for them to eat. Really any type of fat works for this, not just bacon specifically. Mine also love bananas, apples, cucumbers, and really any fruit. Just be sure not to feed them avocado as it is toxic. This year for Christmas my flock will be getting apples, bananas, sunflower seeds, and any leftovers from our big dinner that don't get eaten.

3. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    My girls got TWO treats today, neither pre-planned because I'm a terrible shopper.

This morning, I made "chicken soup"...as in soup made for, not of, chickens. We threw all the peels and nubs from the dinner preparations (potato and carrot peels, broccoli stems, etc) into a pot and boiled it up and served it warm to the girls for a late breakfast.

Later on, I was going to make them some cornmeal mush (usually cornmeal and water), and used the pan drippings from today's ham dinner (ham dripping and a little cider) to make it. I figured no use wasting those nutrients.

Both were quite popular with "the girls" and I was rewarded with a full 7-for-7 egg production today.

We used those eggs to make homemade eggnog....wow, there is nothing like it!

4. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    My girls love cheerios...I soften the up with a little milk and they go crazy. Anything I feed them other than there regular food & scratch is a treat for them. If they see me with paper plates in my hand, they go bonkers cause they know they are getting a treat. They also got some collard leaves today.

5. Silvey17

Silvey17 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    I give them some BOSS(black oil sunflower seeds) and they go completely wacko over it.

6. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    Ours get a butternut squash sliced in half lengthwise and fresh cabbage on a bungee for Christmas. The bungee cabbage is a real hit. I'm convinced I've got the makings of a good tetherball team!

7. bantamphienix

bantamphienix Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    our chickens love oatmeal

8. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Winner around here too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by