A COCKATOO'S DREAM COME TRUE!

I just took a sweet video of Birda in her nesty box sitting on her eggs! It includes an explanation of my DIY double insulated nest box design!
Enjoy!

0.jpg

UPDATE!!!
One of the two eggs that Birda was incubating has hatched!
The blue Americauna chick, BlueEgg, hatched on Thursday, June 16th in the afternoon. The same day, I picked up 4 Mille Fleur d'Uccles and 4 whilte silkie chicks. Glad I did so BlueEgg wouldn't be alone in the brooder. I then took the other egg, the cochin one, and put it in the bator and monitored it by candling.

Well, now it's 2 weeks later, and the cochin egg still hasn't hatched. Since Birda was taking more breaks than normal, I did expect a possible delay in estimated hatch time, but this might be too long. There are 2 other NEW eggs in the bator that I set 12 days ago. At one point when I candled Cochin, it seemed it was far enough along to put it in lockdown, so I placed some shelf liner over a baby food jar lid on the egg section that Cochin was in in the bator, so it hasn't been rotated in about 5 days at this point.

Well, tonight I candled it, and the silhouette is not solid like it should be, so I'm wondering how to detect possible late quit by candling so the other 2 eggs aren't at risk of contamination from a bad egg in there detonating.

It's really hard to tell where in development Cochin is because of the circumstances (cockatoo incubating it), but I know BlueEgg was successful, so I know it's possible. I took Cochin out, because Birda went back to being broody even 2 days prior to BlueEgg hatching, and she started her clucky mating calls and mating positioning, so I figured Cochin would have a steadier time in the bator and be able to catch up to Blue Egg more quickly. I got her a ceramic egg the other day so I didn't have to keep hatching chicks all year (U2s are supposedly supposed to mate once per year, if I'm not mistaken, but she's broody on broody). She just laid another egg of her own tonight ( so I'll have to really monitor her calcium intake.

I went ahead and re-set Cochin to rotate along with the other eggs in case it was NOT in lockdown. This is all a new process. Birda seems to sit more consistently when she's alone most of the day in the room where her nest box is, because my presence I think was distracting her, but I'm most of the time in my bedroom now recovering from surgery I had on June 14th- 2 days before BlueEgg hatched and I got the day old bantams.

Is this too long for incubation? Does this long of a delay indicate fail? I would hate to crack it open and kill a viable embryo, but I need to know for sure whether or not it's gone bad. What should I be looking for in candling? One of my other new eggs got a blood ring and quit at day 4, so I know what a blood ring looks like.

I'd REALLY appreciate ANY help, and FAST!

Thanks!!!

I'm thinking it's probably bad if it's been that long and I'd take it out ASAP. And also next time I wouldn't move it around so much, that may have messed it up too. But maybe not, idk.

@Sally Sunshine might be able to help

I can't help you with the candling questions I wish I could. Is the cockatoo taking care of the chicks? I would love to see pics of them or a video if you have time. Good luck with all your new babies.

Back
Top Bottom