A completely unexpected joy of having my own eggs

… Does anybody else dislike the word moist? :oops: I only use it when referring to cakes & even then it doesn't feel like a natural part of my vocabulary.

That’s been a thing - people disliking the word “moist.” And bakers struggling to find a word that would work as well. :drool

I can’t remember where else I’ve read it, but it’s been more than once. It never bothers me until I read it again! :gig

I've searched the English language for an alternative but nothing else works. :lau

What makes a cake tender is fat and the air produced by leavening. What makes a cake moist is fat and the minimal amount of time to set the cake matrix, which is to say not over baking.

So... Do our homegrown fresh eggs have more fat? I dunno. I really don't. More flavor maybe. ... but not entirely sure there's enough flavor difference to emerge through things like vanilla or chocolate or sugar or butter in the batter. But, if those eggs have more fat they could make the cake more tender and/or moist. Otherwise, it's basically a matter of virtue or perceived results over actual results.

Sorry. That's just the science of baking. :oops:

I think you’d better bake us all something to prove it... Preferably chocolate cake or some brownies. :p
All kidding aside, the duck eggs do have a larger yolk. I think that has a lot to do with it.

I've never baked -- or eaten -- duck eggs but if they have larger yolks then they have more fat. So, you're right! They would make a more tender and moist crumb.

A virtual cake is the best I can do. Thank goodness it's chocolate at least!

IMG_1936.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom