Cocci and recovery (is my hen getting better)

sampsonstorm

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
Recently had what we're 99% sure is a coccidia outbreak amongst our flock. Most of the girls seem to be doing reasonably fine, but our lavender orpington Lilly seems to have it the worst and is having a rough recovery. Our splash maran and bielefelder hens also seem to have it but are having a much easier time dealing with (decrease in egg production but otherwise lively and behaving normaly).
Lilly is sloughing off large amounts of intestinal material, which we are routinely catalouging and trying to find medical references for. We don't have a vet in the area and an emergency vet for them is extremely hard to come by, so we're trying to medicate and make good decisions for them based on research. If the situation gets worse, we will do whatever we can to try to get her to an emergency vet.
The girls have been on Corid since Friday afternoon (3 days as of when I'm writing this). The splash maran laid her first egg in over a week today, but Lilly is having a hard time. No eggs, very little appetite, and the amount of intestinal sloughing makes us nervous. Her feathers are not ruffled, she is not particularly lethargic, she is passing fecal matter somewhat often, and she still wants attention from us.
What I'd like to know is what should I expect from her recovery vs what signs should I look for to get her to a vet? We're very concerned with the potentiality for necrotic enteritis. We started giving her probiotics and electrolytes along with the Corid today. We also got them new food that we hope is healthier than their previous diet.
Should I expect to see more intestinal sloughing until the infection has been completely flushed from her body? Is it typical for it to smell somewhat foul compared to her normal feces even when no sloughing is present? How long will it take for her attitude to come back, and when should I be worried if it doesn't? I heard recovery can take a few weeks, but what signs should I take into account that mean that she just isn't getting better? There is currently no blood in her feces or intestinal sloughing, and she is still walking around and looking alert. Her tail feathers are up and her eyes are bright. We are syringe feeding her and giving her the medication via syringe as she doesn't want to drink or eat very much. The other girls are all willingly drinking and eating with no prompting from us.
Sorry for the long post, Lilly means alot to us and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right for her and that she is actually recovering. I don't want her to suffer unnecessarily for any reason, we love her very much.

How are you mixing the Corid? Can you give her some undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day in addition to the treated water? Sulfa antibiotics could possibly be better for her if you can get some quickly. Those include Albon, sulfadimethoxine, sulfa trim, and SMZ-TMP.

How are you mixing the Corid? Can you give her some undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day in addition to the treated water? Sulfa antibiotics could possibly be better for her if you can get some quickly. Those include Albon, sulfadimethoxine, sulfa trim, and SMZ-TMP.
We're mixing 1/2 tablespoon of corid into a gallon of water. On the first day we did 1/4 tablespoon to a gallon because we worried about potentially overdosing (this was before we knew that overdosing them wasn't that big of an issue) I would like to buy sulfa antiobiotics just in case but I am currently completely broke as I spent the last of the money I had for this week on her medicine and other supplies. She ate a small amount from my hand willingly this afternoon but most of her nutrients are being syringe fed. She got her first dose of probiotics and electrolytes this afternoon as well (15 mL of water in one go, she's pretty good for accepting water from the syringe)

Last edited:
The maximum Corid dosage that many of us recommend for outbreaks is 2 tsp (10ml) of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If a chick is still sick after 5 days, do an additional 5 days at 1/3 of that dose.

The maximum Corid dosage that many of us recommend for outbreaks is 2 tsp (10ml) of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If a chick is still sick after 5 days, do an additional 5 days at 1/3 of that dose.
They're 8 months old now, I probably should have specified that. I'll continue giving corid for now but might buy sulfa next week if I don't see any improvement. I was planning to do a second round of treatment after the initial five days but wasn't sure if I should take a break in between at all. The tissue she was sloughing off today was greenish and smelled sour in the morning, and most recently the tissue was salmon colored and didn't smell nearly as much. The others also have feces that smell somewhat bad but have no tissue. There's no blood at all, just tissue. I have saved the tissue samples if providing photos would help (I also plan to bring the tissue to the vet if she doesn't show any improvements in the several days). Again, I'm worried about necrotic enteritis but don't know when it should be my primary concern or how likely she is to get it.

The vet could also do a gram stain for necrotic enteritis. Amoxicillin and other antibiotics can treat that. Aqua Mox is available online. The sulfa may also, but there are others as well.

The vet could also do a gram stain for necrotic enteritis. Amoxicillin and other antibiotics can treat that. Aqua Mox is available online. The sulfa may also, but there are others as well.
That's good to hear. Can I use corid and sulfa at the same time or should I completely switch to sulfa if I feel the corid isn't working? And thank you for the Aqua Mox reccommendation, I was trying to find things online to potentially deal with necrotic enteritis but couldn't find anything that I didn't need a prescription for. It wouldn't be a problem if we had more accessible vet care, but the closest one is a very long way away with little to no openings for appointments. The last time we tried to schedule a hen in November the closest appointment they could do was March of the next year. There's only one doctor there that assists with chickens so I'm not even entirely sure if we could get her in for emergency treatment if it came down to it. I would do anything for her regardless, its just frustrating that things are so difficult.

Recently had what we're 99% sure is a coccidia outbreak amongst our flock. Most of the girls seem to be doing reasonably fine, but our lavender orpington Lilly seems to have it the worst and is having a rough recovery. Our splash maran and bielefelder hens also seem to have it but are having a much easier time dealing with (decrease in egg production but otherwise lively and behaving normaly).
Lilly is sloughing off large amounts of intestinal material, which we are routinely catalouging and trying to find medical references for. We don't have a vet in the area and an emergency vet for them is extremely hard to come by, so we're trying to medicate and make good decisions for them based on research. If the situation gets worse, we will do whatever we can to try to get her to an emergency vet.
The girls have been on Corid since Friday afternoon (3 days as of when I'm writing this). The splash maran laid her first egg in over a week today, but Lilly is having a hard time. No eggs, very little appetite, and the amount of intestinal sloughing makes us nervous. Her feathers are not ruffled, she is not particularly lethargic, she is passing fecal matter somewhat often, and she still wants attention from us.
What I'd like to know is what should I expect from her recovery vs what signs should I look for to get her to a vet? We're very concerned with the potentiality for necrotic enteritis. We started giving her probiotics and electrolytes along with the Corid today. We also got them new food that we hope is healthier than their previous diet.
Should I expect to see more intestinal sloughing until the infection has been completely flushed from her body? Is it typical for it to smell somewhat foul compared to her normal feces even when no sloughing is present? How long will it take for her attitude to come back, and when should I be worried if it doesn't? I heard recovery can take a few weeks, but what signs should I take into account that mean that she just isn't getting better? There is currently no blood in her feces or intestinal sloughing, and she is still walking around and looking alert. Her tail feathers are up and her eyes are bright. We are syringe feeding her and giving her the medication via syringe as she doesn't want to drink or eat very much. The other girls are all willingly drinking and eating with no prompting from us.
Sorry for the long post, Lilly means alot to us and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right for her and that she is actually recovering. I don't want her to suffer unnecessarily for any reason, we love her very muc
Sorry for the long post, Lilly means alot to us and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right for her and that she is actually recovering. I don't want her to suffer unnecessarily for any reason, we love her very much.
Update: Lilly is finally showing some improvement today. She's on corid and probiotics still, but she is regaining a little bit of an appetite and some of her typical sassy attitude is coming back. I will be keeping her on the treatment until further notice, I will likely be doing a second round of treatment just to make absolutely sure that the infection is out of her system. Any advice is still very much appreciated, as I'd like to keep her health up and make sure the rest of the flock is in good condition as well.

Back
Top Bottom