A conundrum! My hen isn't laying...

Hmmmm...

Well this is making me feel much better, I have to admit. I'm in my first year with chickens, too--got them as week-olds last July. I've never seen a molt or even a broody hen before, and they laid all through winter, too. So maybe sweet Madeleine is just taking a break. I would expect a broody hen to move into the nesting box and not move out; not so?

Quote:
One of my broody EE's stays in the nest box, the other one hid a nest beside the driveway. I spotted her and put some dummy eggs in her nest so she wouldn't switch spots and after about 2 weeks she decided to go full on broody and try to sleep there. I moved her to a safe broody pen and put eggs under her the next night when I was sure the move wasn't going to break the broodiness out of her.

Sneaky chicken! LOL! Actually, Maddie has a rather secretive streak, too. I wonder...maybe she HAS hidden a nest and I've just been unable to find it? She still puts herself to bed at night with the rest of the girls, though, so if she does have a hidden stash, she's not THAT attached to it. I've been watching her, though...hmmmmmm...

They'll keep putting themselves to bed until they decide they have enough eggs (5, 15, 20? Who knows what a hens counting system is...) and then they'll start brooding. That being said, not every hen that hides a nest goes broody. Seems like some of the little stinkers just don't want to share.

Back
Top Bottom