A coop for chickens that lay golden eggs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gardengrll, May 27, 2011.

1. gardengrll

gardengrll New Egg

Apr 28, 2011
    [​IMG] My sister sent me this link - we just got chicks this spring and are building the coop. She thought this might be useful. I thought some of you might get a chuckle. I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting this - I read through them and think it is ok - I'm NOT advertising this!

In contrast to the urban Chicken Co-Op, our coop will be built 100% from rough-cut wood we milled on site & scraps from our barn construction. About the only thing we'll pay for is nails to hold it all together. It may not win any beauty contests, but it will be safe & dry and I think the chickens will be happy when it is done.

http://chickenco-op.com/

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I LOVE the egg shaped holes [​IMG]

3. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    That just odd. Looks like chickens in a fish bowl. and the price...LOL. you realize the coop I could build for $3500....thats funny.

4. Lyssa

Lyssa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    It seems like a lot of nesting boxes for the 1 small chicken that could live in it! [​IMG] And, I think I would feel really sorry for that bird. It is cool looking in an Ikea sort of way

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I had to laugh - I found this thread listed just under this threat - "Who else is living super frugal?"

My chickens would have to lay golden eggs plus sing opera and tap dance to earn that one!

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I always thought city folks had more money than sense! LOL
    It is totally adorable but my chickens are much too big for it and my Silkies would wonder where all the dirt is for them to play.

Thanks for sharing the link. I love to see ideas from other people.

7. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Funny, but impractical. Food dishes on the bottom level? Yuck! Total confinement; poor apartment birds! And the only way out of the sun glaring through those acrylic sheets is in the nest boxes. I hope anybody using that only has four chickens! That thing looks like it will be a sweat box.

$3500 to raise just four chickens. Very impractical.

Hey, maybe it could be practical if you're raising some exotic, expensive meat bird. The bird will be cooked before you even pluck it! How convenient!

8. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Wow, just wow..... [​IMG] That's about the amount I'd spend on a used car....

9. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
  10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:We have a construction guy that lives near us that builds one like this only bigger. His is not moveable but is egg shaped and big enough for a person to step in to. I wish I still had his business card or website but our computer crashed and I tossed the card, knowing I would not pay $5000 for something I could build bigger and better for $500.

With as many chickens (about 700) as I have I have to be smarter with my money than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by