A Needy Future Chicken Farmer's Impossible Journey of Raising Chickens. Ideas appreciated.

As an update, sadly, there is none. I'm still stuck with an elevated 14'x14' floor frame.
What about pallets, they're free you can probably fit a couple at a time in your car if you see them when you're driving around.
Actually no, you can't fit a normal sized pallet in a compact car. The space inside the car is 3feet from inside fender to inside fender in the trunk, with the seats layed down flat its about 7feet from the dash to the edge of the trunk. You can't fit a pallet through the rear doors nor can you insert it into the truck due to the angle of the truck lip and the rear deck. Most pallets are made of oak and would take some time to bust up into anything useable.

My ideal flock size would be between 20-40 birds and can't settle for anything less than that. I wouldn't waste my time building anything for only 4 or 5 birds.

At this point the major thing I'm looking for is:

A way to cover 14feet x 14feet of floor. Something sturdy that I can walk on. Got to be able to get it without a truck and less than $40.

OR:

A method for 1 man to drag out enough logs using only a rope in less than a year to make enough lumber to construct this thing. (I'm just not going to have chickens lol)

I do have tools like chainsaws, hammers, shovels, post hole diggers, I have just about everytool you can think of just no materials.

At this point the major thing I'm looking for is:

A way to cover 14feet x 14feet of floor. Something sturdy that I can walk on. Got to be able to get it without a truck and less than $40.

OR:

A method for 1 man to drag out enough logs using only a rope in less than a year to make enough lumber to construct this thing. (I'm just not going to have chickens lol)
You have tools, just no money and no materials and a small car.
What I would consider is bartering chainsaw or fence post-digging work for a small utility trailer and a hitch for your car. Then you can troll the free craigslist ads at your leisure, and go pick up things - obviously not something like a camper, but certainly pallets, scrap wood, partial rolls of fencing, etc.

You have tools, just no money and no materials and a small car.
What I would consider is bartering chainsaw or fence post-digging work for a small utility trailer and a hitch for your car. Then you can troll the free craigslist ads at your leisure, and go pick up things - obviously not something like a camper, but certainly pallets, scrap wood, partial rolls of fencing, etc.
Yes. What is really frustrating about the whole thing is that I actually worked out $900 of free and clear money. Not enough to build what I want with "store bought" lumber but plenty enough for a run down camper or something. I had a camper bought for $150 and only needed to hire someone to pull or haul it home. I posted on facebook, posted flyers at the grocery store etc and waited over a month. Two people responded. One didn't have a 4x4 which is what it took to get the camper and the other said they would do it but went AFK for over 2 weeks without any communication while my chicken fund dwindled down to zero again. I found a place that sells pallets for $1 each but can't find anyone that wants to work for money.

Currently have posts and flyers about me willing to help tear down old buildings or trading labor for materials. Been trying the bartering thing since the very first post.

Waiting game at this point. Great ideas by the way.

Unless that camper was in a marsh or parked on a sheet of ice, you do not need a 4x4 to pull it down the road.

I've pulled several different travel trailers up to 32 ft with a 85 Chevy Silverado 2 wheel drive with a 305 engine. We did have electric brakes and a transmission cooler added but that was the only thing that was not factory. It was not difficult. Truck had no problems.

Depending on the trailer's size and the distance you will pull it, I would advise a good 3 point hitch system like Reese if you have to go a good distance. These can be rented or the person who owns the camper may would let it go in the sale or loan it to you.

Good luck!

Unless that camper was in a marsh or parked on a sheet of ice, you do not need a 4x4 to pull it down the road.

I've pulled several different travel trailers up to 32 ft with a 85 Chevy Silverado 2 wheel drive with a 305 engine. We did have electric brakes and a transmission cooler added but that was the only thing that was not factory. It was not difficult. Truck had no problems.

Depending on the trailer's size and the distance you will pull it, I would advise a good 3 point hitch system like Reese if you have to go a good distance. These can be rented or the person who owns the camper may would let it go in the sale or loan it to you.

Good luck!
The camper was sitting in the middle of a field that was very soggy. The blocks that it was sitting on had sunk into the ground. The area was very soft. The owner said definitely need a 4x4 or a winch if you had 500ft of chain or cable. The tires were of a rare pattern I haven't seen before so the chances of finding a spare was slim. It needed to be hauled on a flatbed trailer if it was to travel any distance. The issue was getting it to the road and out of the swamp. Its very rural here so basically anything goes as far as what we could tow with just couldn't get it to the road/hooked up or find anyone willing to take money in exchange for work. A gutted out camper would have worked perfectly for me but I have now turned down the road of building something and scrapped the camper idea. I have been looking at something like this recently:

1692220669053.png

(but I don't have that many car/truck hoods)

1692220747933.png

(but I don't have that many bottles)

Hard to find stuff when you live in the:
1692220826203.png

Oh, maybe start smaller. I can understand not wanting to go through a lot just to have four or five chickens. But may be just going to start with 10 to 12 chickens. Trust me certain times of the year you will get plenty of eggs and it’s easier to expand from there especially since that’s where you can learn about ways you need to build it for the particular area you were living. I’ve had it built differently for the two different places I’ve lived in.
I live in the pretty much wilderness. I have found and cut some 8 foot limbs or trunks of oak or cedar for fence posts and that was free so that’s one idea. As far as small stuff you can save like nest boxes can be made out of so many different free material. Most of mine are made out of all the leftover scrapwood put together. Nothing fancy but they’re happy to lay in it. And things like roosting poles. If you have plenty of woods around, you may be able to find 3 inch wide, branches or limbs of some sort. It almost seem like what I’ve use those the chickens preferred them. And saving all the small extras that go inside, the coop does help with the overall cost. hope there’s are at least a couple usable ideas. Because I’m one person home who lives out in the middle of nowhere ans well and had nothing but a sedan until about a year ago.

The camper was sitting in the middle of a field that was very soggy. The blocks that it was sitting on had sunk into the ground. The area was very soft. The owner said definitely need a 4x4 or a winch if you had 500ft of chain or cable. The tires were of a rare pattern I haven't seen before so the chances of finding a spare was slim. It needed to be hauled on a flatbed trailer if it was to travel any distance. The issue was getting it to the road and out of the swamp. Its very rural here so basically anything goes as far as what we could tow with just couldn't get it to the road/hooked up or find anyone willing to take money in exchange for work. A gutted out camper would have worked perfectly for me but I have now turned down the road of building something and scrapped the camper idea. I have been looking at something like this recently:

View attachment 3611022
(but I don't have that many car/truck hoods)

View attachment 3611024
(but I don't have that many bottles)

Hard to find stuff when you live in the:
View attachment 3611025

That was what I was wondering. :)

Well, maybe since that camper was sitting in such a place it was not meant to be. Still I believe where there is a will there is a way!

Since you have started a base, continue with the plan and keep your eyes and ears open for things you can use. Maybe something will turn up when you least expect it just like the camper. The camper seems like a dead end so what.....search on!

Positive thoughts!

Oh, I am from northish Western part of Virginia ( near orange co) just barely east of the Blue Ridge. I can understand because the only things that aren’t 30 minutes or more from where I live is one very small dump and one “convenience “store that has about four parking spots… No gas though. Other than those to the general rule in this area is everything’s( grocery store, feed store) a minimum of 30 minutes away.
Va is a very diverse landscape from north to south and east to west. So many different terrains!
He is in Southwest West Virginia....Appalachian mountains I believe....

Back
Top Bottom