A Needy Future Chicken Farmer's Impossible Journey of Raising Chickens. Ideas appreciated.

Yes, southern WV.

Start small? I can't build a 1x1 box at the moment. As far as current building materials I have:

1 washer/dryer combo gutted nothing but outside metal left.

1 wooden bedframe

2 bedroom dressers and drawers

1 6'x6' tarp

1 popular log debarked 10' long that took me three days to drag by myself 50 yards, 1 inch at a time.

I have plenty of tools, chainsaws, hammers, nails, etc.

No truck only a compact car, no workers to hire, nobody to barter with so far.

I called all the local stores and either they don't have any or they already have someone that gets them, no use either way, you can't haul pallets in a cavalier.

1 washer/dryer combo gutted nothing but outside metal left.
Do you have the round drum from the dryer? You could use that to help roll logs from out of the woods, then once you have enough logs to work on with your tools, you could turn the drum into a soil sifter and make seedling mix or planting soil to sell. The craigslist freebies often give away plastic buckets, and you can fit those in your car and sell potting soil for a few bucks per bucket - 50c deposit returned when they return the bucket.

I can't help but mention, you obviously have internet access, that might be something to take advantage of. Post videos, or if your internet access is sketchy, write stories?

Do you have the round drum from the dryer? You could use that to help roll logs from out of the woods, then once you have enough logs to work on with your tools, you could turn the drum into a soil sifter and make seedling mix or planting soil to sell. The craigslist freebies often give away plastic buckets, and you can fit those in your car and sell potting soil for a few bucks per bucket - 50c deposit returned when they return the bucket.
could you explain how the drum from a dryer/washer would help in dragging a log out of the woods? People don't use craigslist here, search yourself my zip is 25524, feel free to find me something I can haul in a car that is within 25miles of me. good luck :)

The drum can help you out by putting it on top and rolling it to your destination at least a certain amount at a time which is much easier than pulling it. Just like I’ve used a couple scrap pieces of PVC pipe to roll logs to where I need them with my arthritis is kicking up. Again of these are ideas and suggestions some may work for you some may not, but when someone on backyard chickens, ask for ideas and suggestions that’s what we reply with his ideas and suggestions

Again, if there’s a will, there’s a way. It may take you longer than you anticipated by gathering things and getting things figured out but you will be proud of what you come out with. It just might not be as fast of a process. I had a similar problem when I moved I can’t say the same one but similar. It took me quite a while to get everything together, but I was proud of what I came out with even if it was a little at a time.

A dirt floor? With 2' or so of hardware cloth laid flat on the ground around the walls to keep digging animals out.
What would I do when it floods and the area has about 2' of water, then my birds would be high and dry and it does happen. Actually though I have some good news, its not going to be the full 14' x 14' though. Here is what I have came up with.

I was out wondering about and found one of these but without the plastic:
1692423925224.png

I found this nearby in the woods and looks like it used to be used to burn trash in. The plastic is gone but the cage is still there. I'm thinking about cutting it up where it will lay flat and then I can use some 7/16 osb I found that is being used to board up an old abandoned house. That with a little bit other stuff should get me a 8'x8' floor covering. I have popular posts and t-phone poles as corner posts and I think I can get enough old doors, washer/dryer metal and small saplings to do the walls and the roof is easy peasy because I have some premade trusses and roof tin off of an old trailer that used to be around here. Lets see how it goes from here guys!

The drum can help you out by putting it on top and rolling it to your destination at least a certain amount at a time which is much easier than pulling it. Just like I’ve used a couple scrap pieces of PVC pipe to roll logs to where I need them with my arthritis is kicking up. Again of these are ideas and suggestions some may work for you some may not, but when someone on backyard chickens, ask for ideas and suggestions that’s what we reply with his ideas and suggestions

Again, if there’s a will, there’s a way. It may take you longer than you anticipated by gathering things and getting things figured out but you will be proud of what you come out with. It just might not be as fast of a process. I had a similar problem when I moved I can’t say the same one but similar. It took me quite a while to get everything together, but I was proud of what I came out with even if it was a little at a time.
I don't think they are that strong. I can stand one up on edge and stand on it and it will deform from my weight of 165lbs. I doubt it will allow a log to roll on top of it. I was thinking you meant to cut it up and use it as a sled but a thick piece of plastic would be better as a sled.

Im in zone 6a, 2 days ago we had some serious rain which left pond like bodies of water in run. (I live at the base of a state forest in CT). What i do is keep bark around. I store tree bark from the woods all around my coop. When it rains, i throw all that chunky big bark in to fill in the water parts so they are not standing in it. When the water recedes, drains, i remove the bark. So far so good!

Back
Top Bottom