A Needy Future Chicken Farmer's Impossible Journey of Raising Chickens. Ideas appreciated.

Pics
Im in zone 6a, 2 days ago we had some serious rain which left pond like bodies of water in run. (I live at the base of a state forest in CT). What i do is keep bark around. I store tree bark from the woods all around my coop. When it rains, i throw all that chunky big bark in to fill in the water parts so they are not standing in it. When the water recedes, drains, i remove the bark. So far so good!
sounds like a lot of work, much better to have an elevated structure to begin with.

Again I know what I want, I know what I need, everyone seems to be missing the point.

At this point the whole project is a bust. There is no possible way to create something from nothing. Whoever said "where there is a will, there is a way" is totally a liar, it takes money and/or trucks, friends, etc, etc to get stuff. Consider this thread dead as there is no hope in my situation. Thanks for the replies but sadly its not going to happen.

sounds like a lot of work, much better to have an elevated structure to begin with.

Again I know what I want, I know what I need, everyone seems to be missing the point.

At this point the whole project is a bust. There is no possible way to create something from nothing. Whoever said "where there is a will, there is a way" is totally a liar, it takes money and/or trucks, friends, etc, etc to get stuff. Consider this thread dead as there is no hope in my situation. Thanks for the replies but sadly its not going to happen.
Unfortunately, i dont have the elevation but my flock is small and i dont have to do the bark thing but once or twice a year. Good luck anywY

Well, its all happening by accident.

My neighbor gave me an almost full sheet of 7/16 Osb. With a little bracing underneath it will hold me and I have room for more bracing later. I have around 8 2x6's left over from an earlier project that initially I was going to use for joists but now they are covering the floor.

I have two trees cut to post size and two telephone poles which together will provide four corner posts. I'll use smaller trees/saplings to attach to the corner posts and use that for my walls. (along with all the scrap doors, fence panels etc that I can find)

I have enough fencing to do.

Its not going to be as big as I wanted but It will house 10-15 birds with room to expand later.

I've had countless sleepless nights trying to figure out how to do this project on a very limited budget, without much help, without a truck. It takes time to find things and I'm very impatient. Things are looking up for a change. I won't be posting here much longer unless something comes up.

Looks like I have this licked now!
1693245091457.jpeg

Well, its all happening by accident.

My neighbor gave me an almost full sheet of 7/16 Osb. With a little bracing underneath it will hold me and I have room for more bracing later. I have around 8 2x6's left over from an earlier project that initially I was going to use for joists but now they are covering the floor.

I have two trees cut to post size and two telephone poles which together will provide four corner posts. I'll use smaller trees/saplings to attach to the corner posts and use that for my walls. (along with all the scrap doors, fence panels etc that I can find)

I have enough fencing to do.

Its not going to be as big as I wanted but It will house 10-15 birds with room to expand later.

I've had countless sleepless nights trying to figure out how to do this project on a very limited budget, without much help, without a truck. It takes time to find things and I'm very impatient. Things are looking up for a change. I won't be posting here much longer unless something comes up.

Looks like I have this licked now!
View attachment 3621692
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom