a couple new chick questions....

lovethepeep

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
#1- our brooder temp is reading 95, but the birds are hanging out on one side or the other, outside of the direct light... should I assume it's too hot? raise the lamp a bit?

#2- they seem to be pecking at eachother fairly often... is this a sign? I can't te if they are doing it on purpose for mistaking feet and wings for feed
smile.png
smile.png

#- also, how often do I need to be checking for pasting up? and how common is pasting?

How many are there? Do they have plenty of space ot move around? I would definitely move the light up for temps closer to 90. Make sure they have plenty of room...crowding can cause pecking. Check for pasting a 4 times a day for the first 3-4 days.

Hi lovethepeeps -

I can answer question #1 - If your peeps are trying to stay out of the direct light of the heat lamp... go ahead and move it up.

DH took about an hour to figure out if the heat was too hot or not. Basically what you can do is move the light up a bit. If the peeps seem to be moving more freely or are sitting in the area of the light, then the temp is just about right.

If the peeps are too hot, they will hang out anywhere but where the light is pointing. This may also explain why they are peeking on each other and not getting along. We get cranky when we are too hot...

How big is your box... How many babies do you have and what age are the peeps.
hu.gif

This information may help you receive additional information with questions #2 & #3.

From the little experience I have, the chicks will tell you when they are hot or cold. If they are avoiding the direct light, then its a little too warm. I'd raise it up just a few inches, and watch them for signs of chilling

As for the pecking, it could be they need a little more space. If they are avoiding the area under the lamp, then they have that much less space to get away from each other. It's possible raising the lamp will improve the picking also.

Pasting is something that happens, but I don't know how common it is. I had one chick die from it out of maybe 35 that we've had over the years. I think if you check once or twice a day, it should be good. But you'll probably check more often than that, because you'll be watching them ALOT LOL

we have 7 birds, and our brooder is about 8 sq ft. 2 1/2 feet high. It's actually quite impressive if I can brag a minute on my sweet husband
smile.png
smile.png

I will raise the lamp... they are just about everywhere BUT under the lamp.. they might run through the heat, but they do stay on the other end...

Back
Top Bottom