A couple of questions about azolla

Phililorp

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
I constantly see azolla advertised around where I live so I have a couple of questions about it:

1) Can it totally replace feed? I'm wondering if I can give the azolla as feed and treats such as moringa leaves, veggies, bugs as supplements to the azolla.

2) If it can totally replace feed, at what age? My layer chicks are 4.5 weeks old so should I stick with starter feed for now?

What is azolla?
It's an aquatic plant that lives on the surface of water. You can put some in a small pond or kiddie bath I'm guessing and it will multiply super rapidly (I heard just 10 days for harvest). It's marketed as a cheap alternative to chicken feed, but I'm wondering if it's nutritionally complete.

Where do you live? It sounds very invasive. I live right by Lake Erie and aquatic plants like this are a nightmare for conservationists up here. But that’s not what you asked about. I’m afraid I’m not much help! I’m going to keep an eye on this plant though.

Where do you live? It sounds very invasive. I live right by Lake Erie and aquatic plants like this are a nightmare for conservationists up here. But that’s not what you asked about. I’m afraid I’m not much help! I’m going to keep an eye on this plant though.
I live in the Philippines. People grow them in these things that are basically above ground pools. They use stakes and tarps as the pool liner and then fill it with water.

It is a lovely pond plant! I grew it for years as a commercial crop for the backyard pond market. It typically does not overwinter in the northern latitudes. I had not ever heard of it being marketed as chicken feed but again it would be considered a specialty crop where I live.

Back
Top Bottom