A devastating loss....I almost threw in the towel!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hottchick, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Well, after losing one of my girls to my dog last week, I thought I had tightened up their run enough. Found out I was wrong yesterday. Of course while I had company visiting who wanted to meet my chickens, my daughters favorite, Alice, found a way out of the pen. In the blink of an eye my dog Honey had killed her. I can't stand it! My poor daughter who is 14 was inconsolable.

I had almost decided to give them all away rather than lose anymore. We added chicken fencing to the top of the run instead. No one will get out any more. I can't do it any more. I just felt like a colossal failure. My poor Alice.

Anyway, just thought I'd vent a bit.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

It is always devastating to have a hen killed, when your own dog does it, it is doubly devastating.

One time when I was rearranging my chicken house, I dropped a plywood brooder, RIGHT ON ONE OF MY HENS.....

I know how you feel, so I am sending you a hug [​IMG]

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] Don't beat yourself up. We all learn. Hopefully the problem is fixed and it won't happen again. And hey, thanks for not giving up on the dog too.

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I'm so sorry. It's terrible losing your favourite and so disheartening. Big hugs to you and your daughter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by