A dog attacked my chicken and now she is trying to eat herself!

We have a vet involved but they do not specialize in chickens so they are giving us all of the information that they can. She is lively and eating and drinking but we are afraid that she already has a minor infection, we are trying to treat it with antibiotics the best we can. I have a towel around her wings and right below her head so she can't turn around and peck it or else that is all she would do.
If you have a vet involved, then follow their advice! You are just going to get more confused by posting online and getting direction from the vet as well.

I am not 100% positive that I will be posting pictures because I am busy this evening but I will truly try my best. And I am not sure how to tag them.

Not a professional by any means but when an attack left my duck with a ripped open neck. I went and bought needles, plain dental floss, Contact saline solution and bactine spray. I put the duck in a short square Bucket to limit movement. I soaked my needle And floss thread in 91% strength alcohol. Rinsed th wound with saline solution. Used kids foam neosporin at wound. Them I sprayed area well with bactine as it has numbing spray. Dad kep duck from leaving and i readied needle and thread. I stitched up the duck and sprayed area again with bactine when done. I had purchased fish/bird amoxicillin from WalmartpetRx.com so i added a small amount to drinking water for about 4 days. It is fully recovered now.

if you saw a vet, definitely heed their advice though. Open wounds need to be at least loosely closed or wrapped. Good luck. I hope all goes well

I think it is irritating her but I am not sure specifically is irritating her. And she was doing that before we put it on. I am thinking it might be because her bones are showing, chickens like the taste of chicken, and it is red.

Back
Top Bottom