A dog attacked my chicken and now she is trying to eat herself!

Don't worry, we are not paying for them we just called in and got some information and yes, I am a minor.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 2454677 16083228965042129393379.jpg Here is some pictures of her her behind looks much worse in person but that is the 1608323042696-1934452576.jpg best one I could get and she has plucked her leg raw. Sorry about the the wording position.

The basics of wound care are important to remember.

1. Flush every morning with saline solution or warm soapy water. This is to remove bacteria that has attached to the wound from the air each day. (Avoid hydrogen peroxide as it kills new skin cells that are trying to grow.)

2. Keep the wound moist with the antimicrobial ointment you have. But don't let the wound get wet from water sources other than what you use to clean it each day.

3. If there are any loose flaps of skin, do not cut them off. Use them to lay over the open wounds where you are able. Use your wound ointment to "glue" them in place then smooth the ointment over the top. Do you understand the concept of skin grafts? That's what this is and it helps heal open wounds three times faster.

4. As others have pointed out, she may appear to be "eating" her wounds, but she's really just pecking at them because they hurt. Humans do the same thing when they grab a sore thumb they just hit with a hammer. Give her a chewable aspirin, one in the morning, and a second one late in the day. This will reduce her pain.

5. An oral antibiotic is necessary to keep bacteria from moving into her bloodstream and killing her. Ask the vet to phone a prescription to your pharmacy. Be sure it has refills if needed.

Thank you so much that is so helpful but I do think she is eating herself because she has pulled big pieces of skin off, Why is she doing that?

Not a professional by any means but when an attack left my duck with a ripped open neck. I went and bought needles, plain dental floss, Contact saline solution and bactine spray. I put the duck in a short square Bucket to limit movement. I soaked my needle And floss thread in 91% strength alcohol. Rinsed th wound with saline solution. Used kids foam neosporin at wound. Them I sprayed area well with bactine as it has numbing spray. Dad kep duck from leaving and i readied needle and thread. I stitched up the duck and sprayed area again with bactine when done. I had purchased fish/bird amoxicillin from WalmartpetRx.com so i added a small amount to drinking water for about 4 days. It is fully recovered now.

if you saw a vet, definitely heed their advice though. Open wounds need to be at least loosely closed or wrapped. Good luck. I hope all goes well

Anyone who responded to this post, thank you and I want to let you know that she is perfectly fine and is back in the coop with the other chickens. her tail is still smaller than the others but it is almost full-sized... Thank you for all of everyone's helpful info and I hope this makes you feel a bit better!

Back
Top Bottom