A Dream Come True: Galah Pics!!

danischi24

Loves naked pets
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Australia
After visiting a friend with a new baby in the north for most of this week (also convenient for avoiding all the missiles landing around my house), I decided to pop into the parrot breeding farm in their village, on my way home. Somehow, I walked out with my Dream in a cardboard box & a bag of food clutched in my hand, to begin my long journey home by train & bus, accompanied by luggage, a year old Galah & my AHT dog
ep.gif

This is her story: last year some Palestinians stole every bird from the facility & shoved them ALL into ONE 6 foot cage to transport. Over 100 Macaws, Amazons, Cockatoos etc. Over half were dead when they got to East Jerusalem 3 hours later
somad.gif

A Macaw ripped out her feathers & she continued the job from the stress & trauma. The facility decided to cut their losses & now buy eggs to hatch & raise for the pet trade rather than breeding their own.
She is an extremely loving bird & I'm thinking of calling her Adelaide or Ariana. I've wanted a Galah since I was 3 years old but they are pricey & I could never justify spending that many thousand on a bird just for my pleasure.

Oh how sweet that she has ended up with someone so loving and who wants her so badly! Especially after such a sad start to life.

The Galah is native to my home country of Australia and are very common around my area. I see them daily along with cockatoos and rosellas in my garden. I'll try to get a photo for you one day.

In case you haven't yet decided on a name.. here are some names of Australian towns,cities or suburbs that would make nice names for a Galah. I noticed your 2 chosen names started with 'A'... so I'll begin there!

Adelaide
Avoca
Avon
Albany
Alexandra
Alma
Amala
Altona
Anama
Airly
Ainslie
Aranda
Alva
Amby
Allora

Thanks guys
Yeah, Oz has the best wildlife
droolin.gif
I did a bird watching tour the last time I was there & there's nothing quite like seeing a Sulfur Crested on a telephone wire in Sydney!
I settled on Adelaide though I seem to call her "Tookie" (parrot in Hebrew) most of the time
tongue.png

AAAWWW!!! She is pretty and you are so special for opening your home to her. I'm sure she'll repay you over and over in time. I have a Bare Eyed Too named Lucy and she is our sweet lil clown. lol

What a gorgeous bird. Just in case you didn't know handle her regularly. If they get out of the habit of being handled it's very easy for them to get out of the habit and retraining them doesn't always work. That's what happened to Red Bird. After several months I finally got her to trust me, but anyone else had better look out.

Incidentally, I hope you're prepared for a long relationship. Galah's normally live for over 30 years.
Sholem aleykhem,

My pets are my best friends so being handled often isn't a problem, spending enough time in her new cage to know where the food & water is, might be
tongue.png

I hope to be able to take her to work with me once she's feathered in & become more socialized.

Back
Top Bottom