a few chickens are loosing back feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccarver80, Apr 30, 2016.

1. ccarver80

ccarver80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    So I have some hens that I can see the skin on there back.... at first I thought i had to many roosters and they were over mating or being to ruff....but someone said it could be lice ??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    On the back is likely from roosters.
    How many hens and how many roosters?

1 person likes this.
  3. ccarver80

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    4 roosters and 22 hens

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You should double the number of hens or lose at least 1 but better 2 rooster.

5. ccarver80

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    I was afraid of that... I'm in a catch 22... I love all my roosters... each one is unique to me.... but I don't have the room for more hens.... THE DILEMMA! !! :/ but I have my least favorite 2 roosters picked out... a black australorp (turkey cuz he's freaking tall!) And a barred rock... they have been fed just normal scratch grains and layer pellets..... how good are they gonna taste?(1 year old) I'm considering building a second pen and start collecting eggs and incubating and trying to raise butcher birds... but all my chickens are dual purpose .... can I raise them strickly on high protien feed and will they taste any better? I know I'm getting off topic and should prickly post this else wear....

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They'll taste just fine. They will be tougher than 6 week old Cornish cross. Let the meat rest for a few days before cooking or freezing. Then cook it on low heat slowly. It's best to part them out because the breast will cook faster than the legs and wings. If you cook whole, breast down in some broth at about 220F till the meat starts coming off the leg bones.

More protein won't make them taste better.

Once mature roosters do better on lower protein. Also, to be safe, roosters shouldn't be eating layer feed. Especially if you want to keep them around a while.
    4% calcium is too high for birds not building egg shells.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  7. ccarver80

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    Hmmm... well I got a treager grill the other day ... slow cooking them is no problem hahah I've been eyeing my chickens since I brought it home lol....

8. stella7210

stella7210 New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    I have the same problem. What can be done to help my flock?

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    More hens or fewer roosters.

10. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Okay Chicken Canoe
    what does layer feed do to Baby Girl who doesnt lay and RO ROO ?
    I bought the Natures Best In" Starter "cause its organic but its so powdery and they really waste most of it. so back to the Layer feed
    I keep oyster shell in several places, too
    Is that why Roo poo is smaller ??? I refuse to buy the big name junk feeds I much prefer to do my own... but they waste the "sandy" looking additive even when ferment it..
    a lady at" Blue Stem" she said she never heard before that its bad.. she has chickens...
    please explain... thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by