a few chickens are loosing back feathers

ccarver80

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Squaw gap ND
So I have some hens that I can see the skin on there back.... at first I thought i had to many roosters and they were over mating or being to ruff....but someone said it could be lice ??

I was afraid of that... I'm in a catch 22... I love all my roosters... each one is unique to me.... but I don't have the room for more hens.... THE DILEMMA! !! :/ but I have my least favorite 2 roosters picked out... a black australorp (turkey cuz he's freaking tall!) And a barred rock... they have been fed just normal scratch grains and layer pellets..... how good are they gonna taste?(1 year old) I'm considering building a second pen and start collecting eggs and incubating and trying to raise butcher birds... but all my chickens are dual purpose .... can I raise them strickly on high protien feed and will they taste any better? I know I'm getting off topic and should prickly post this else wear....

They'll taste just fine. They will be tougher than 6 week old Cornish cross. Let the meat rest for a few days before cooking or freezing. Then cook it on low heat slowly. It's best to part them out because the breast will cook faster than the legs and wings. If you cook whole, breast down in some broth at about 220F till the meat starts coming off the leg bones.

More protein won't make them taste better.

Once mature roosters do better on lower protein. Also, to be safe, roosters shouldn't be eating layer feed. Especially if you want to keep them around a while.
4% calcium is too high for birds not building egg shells.

Last edited:
Hmmm... well I got a treager grill the other day ... slow cooking them is no problem hahah I've been eyeing my chickens since I brought it home lol....

Once mature roosters do better on lower protein. Also, to be safe, roosters shouldn't be eating layer feed. Especially if you want to keep them around a while.
4% calcium is too high for birds not building egg shells.
Okay Chicken Canoe
what does layer feed do to Baby Girl who doesnt lay and RO ROO ?
I bought the Natures Best In" Starter "cause its organic but its so powdery and they really waste most of it. so back to the Layer feed
I keep oyster shell in several places, too
Is that why Roo poo is smaller ??? I refuse to buy the big name junk feeds I much prefer to do my own... but they waste the "sandy" looking additive even when ferment it..
a lady at" Blue Stem" she said she never heard before that its bad.. she has chickens...
please explain... thank you

Back
Top Bottom