Older chickens going gray?

Pics

minaayindra

Songster
5 Years
I have multiple hens and one rooster, all hatched on the same day and now 4 1/2 years old. In the last 6 months, the roosters feathers around his beautiful ruff have changed from a vivid copper to white, as has his feathers on his head. Now I have his black Copper Maran hens showing white feathers on their heads as if they are turning gray. I just saw my 2 Gold Lace Wyandottes, who are housed separately and have no contact with the rooster's flock, are also showing a dusting of white feathers on their heads. They have been treated for mites and appear to be in good health but I don't want to miss some illness that I've never heard of. Do chickens go "gray" when they are older? I've never heard of it before. Pictures on left are of the chickens I'm referring to when they were young- they developed even more fullness and beautiful coloring as they aged. The ones on the right are what they look like now... thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 45
That's alittle extreme for it just being old age.
I've got a rooster around the same age, looks nothing like that.
I've had him at an avian vet who said there is absolutely nothing on or in his skin so I'm at a loss, especially since some of the girls are becoming salt and pepper as well (granted, he is all salt now). He does have a hen who picks on him and the guineas recently removed some of his tail feathers during a fight so the lack of feathers isn't the issue. I don't believe some of these vets are experienced enough to know the answers, like people who have been with chickens for years- he said they are always killed before the age of 2 so there is no research on poultry diseases except for the food industry.

I've had him at an avian vet who said there is absolutely nothing on or in his skin so I'm at a loss, especially since some of the girls are becoming salt and pepper as well (granted, he is all salt now). He does have a hen who picks on him and the guineas recently removed some of his tail feathers during a fight so the lack of feathers isn't the issue.
Old age usually produces maybe 2-3 white feathers on a chicken. But most common is white spots on the head, or eyebrows.

He reminds me of my Project Chameleons I'm working on.

Do you know what breed or mix of breeds he is?? I would love to breed one just like him.
I don't think that its really anything to worry about. Is he getting whiter as he molts because he could be part Speckled Sussex and if that is the case then they do get whiter each time they molt or lose feathers - they come back even whiter.
I am thinking that could be the answer you are looking for! :)

Project chameleons?
Yep.
This hen turned 3 this year, change happened last year at the age of 2. The mother also changed last year, she's about 5 now.
20230930_135709.jpg
Mother
20230219_230354.jpg
The mother has more offspring, but only the cockerels have changed color so far. They'll be a year next spring.
VideoCapture_20231022-162437.jpg

Bad picture.
VideoCapture_20231022-191315.jpg
20230904_135516.jpg

Sorry, Billy has always been my best buddy since he hatched (he was a surprise when he began to act like a rooster!). He has so many amazing qualities and I have never lost a hen since he came along. In addition, he is so sweet that he won't even stop the aggressive hen from picking on him- I don't know any roosters that are that kind. In spite of his not wanting me to bother "his" hens, he is fine being carried around when off-duty. :love

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom