Not all dogs go through it, but 6 mos is common. Try to avoid any bad experiences during this period, as that can result in lifelong phobias. Just gentle coaxing, and let him retreat if he needs to. Have fun with your training. Clicker training is great for shaping behaviors like fetch. There's a book I really like, that has a very good explanation of clicker training and ways to motivate a dog that may not take naturally to a task. It's called 'When Pigs Fly" by Jane Killion. You would probably enjoy it.

Not all dogs go through it, but 6 mos is common. Try to avoid any bad experiences during this period, as that can result in lifelong phobias. Just gentle coaxing, and let him retreat if he needs to. Have fun with your training. Clicker training is great for shaping behaviors like fetch. There's a book I really like, that has a very good explanation of clicker training and ways to motivate a dog that may not take naturally to a task. It's called 'When Pigs Fly" by Jane Killion. You would probably enjoy it.

Thank you so much!! This is really helpful!!!

I have always trained my dogs to do a formal retrieve to hand, even if they liked to play fetch. I show my dogs in obedience where they have a very controlled retrieve, but I like training it so much I teach them all because its so nice to have a dog who can pick things up for me (plus its a great party trick). I like to teach it by shaping with a clicker and I use Shirley Chong's method outlined here. I have yet to have it fail on any of my dogs or students dogs. http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html

I have always trained my dogs to do a formal retrieve to hand, even if they liked to play fetch. I show my dogs in obedience where they have a very controlled retrieve, but I like training it so much I teach them all because its so nice to have a dog who can pick things up for me (plus its a great party trick). I like to teach it by shaping with a clicker and I use Shirley Chong's method outlined here. I have yet to have it fail on any of my dogs or students dogs. http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html

Thanks! That sounds really helpful! I will have to check out that link!

Back
Top Bottom