A few newbie questions

Blue Hill Farm

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Central Saskatchewan
First off, thank you for taking the time to read and (hopefully) answer these questions.
smile.png

We just got ten 4 day old babies recently and its going fairly well, minus a little light issue. Ok, it wasn't really little (I believe I may have sunburned them, being under a 250 watt UV light) and then I thought they were all going to die....makes for a rough night/morning.
sad.png

Anyhow, they are doing MUCH better now (running, chirping, eating, drinking, pooping, all that good stuff lol) and their eyes are OPEN and seeing, thank god.

So, onto my questions:

We made a temporary home for the newest members in our youngest sons plastic "playhouse" which is about 3 1/2 x 4 ft. How long will this be suitable for 10 chicks, if it even is?

What age is appropriate to begin grit?

I've been adding Super Booster to their water, how long should I continue to do this?

They've begun to peck at their bedding (pine shavings) so I added a layer of paper towel but a few still dig in the corners. How long should I do this?

I have one of those long red feeders with little holes. Should I fill it overflowing or only to right before the hole? which reminds me, should I scatter crumble on the pt (or in the shavings) for them to find?

Should I leave the red heat lamp on 24/7 or be giving them breaks?

Is it normal for them to sleep with necks stretched out or bent at weird angles?

eta one more: I greased their vents yesterday with a dab of olive oil, hoping to prevent pasting up. It sure seems to be working, lol, but is once enough? Or should I do it again in a few days?

TIA!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and congratulations on your new chicks!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I have 26 new chicks that are 1 week old today so I'm right at the same stage as you are.

...Where are you keeping your chicks? In the house or outside? If they are being brooded in the house you more than likely won't need a 250 wt bulb at this time of year. I'm using a 100w "PAR38" (Landscape type) flood lamp (red). I got it at Home Depot. Even with that wattage I've had to raise it a few times to let the chicks stay a little cooler.

...You will probably get another week out of the playhouse and then will need to make a bigger brooder (or add an addition with some heavy cardboard and some duct tape). You'll definitely know because it will begin to look crowded in there.

...You should start using grit when you start giving them treats such as grass, bugs, etc. Just sprinkle the grit on their starter food as if you are salting it.

...I stopped using the Quick Chick the other day when quite a few of them got "pasty butt". after doing a search on this forum I realized that using the Quick Chick more than a day or two will help bring about "pasty butt". Since changing them to regular water I haven't had any more problems with that.

...This time around I'm not using any shavings yet, just paper towels that I've been layering and then changing when needed. The thing that I hate about shavings is how the chicks scratch their food out of the feeder then it sinks down below the shavings and gets lost.

...I'm using the top of a cardboard shoe box and a Dixie paper plate for feeders right now and they are working really good.

...Leave the heat on them at all times until they don't need it anymore but make sure they have an area that they can go to if they need less heat. Start out at 90 degrees the first week and lower the temp by 5 degrees each week until you get to room temperature. By then they will have their feathers.

...Baby chicks look adorable when they are sleeping. They sort of lay where they fall. It scared me the first time I saw it because they sort of look dead.

...Just keep watching them for pasty butt. I haven't had any more problems since the other day but I still keep looking, just in case.

Well congrats right back at ya!
big_smile.png
What breed/s do you have? My babes are 6 EE, 1 BR, and 3 mysteries. lol

We have them in our back porch in the house. The weather's been the pits here lately, but when it warms up I'll definitely turn the heat light off.

2 weeks is what I figured....not sure what we're gonna do yet but I need to get hubby in gear to build their coop.

When can they have treats?

I have noticed a few chicks have pretty runny stools, but otherwise seem right as rain tonight. I'm scared to stop the booster in case of cocci risk....maybe in a day or two?

Do they ever scratch it out! And everywhere for that matter. LoL I'm going to do paper towel as well because it makes cleaning quick and easy. I have shavings underneath though... it seems to help with absorption and gives them more padding. (the house is up on a table)

I tried a red container lid and they loved it! That will be the treat dish.
big_smile.png

Totally adorable, but freaky! lol I'm glad to know mine are in the normal range.

Will do! thanks so much for the advice.
smile.png

We made a temporary home for the newest members in our youngest sons plastic "playhouse" which is about 3 1/2 x 4 ft. How long will this be suitable for 10 chicks, if it even is?

This is 14 square feet. 1/2 square feet per chick is usually good for the first 2 to 3 weeks, then you go with 1 square foot per chick until they completely feather out. You should have plenty of room.

What age is appropriate to begin grit?

m2wandc got it right.

They've begun to peck at their bedding (pine shavings) so I added a layer of paper towel but a few still dig in the corners. How long should I do this?

Just until they learn what their main food is. Three days is usually plenty.

I have one of those long red feeders with little holes. Should I fill it overflowing or only to right before the hole? which reminds me, should I scatter crumble on the pt (or in the shavings) for them to find?

I try to fill the feeder so they pretty much clean it out between fillings. Of course, I am at home so I can fill it whenever it runs out so they don't get hungry. That way the feed stays fresher and it is easier to clean any poop out of it.

Should I leave the red heat lamp on 24/7 or be giving them breaks?

I leave mine on when they need the heat and turn it off when they don't.

Is it normal for them to sleep with necks stretched out or bent at weird angles?

Absolutely.

Back
Top Bottom