A few questions for you guys. I am new to turkeys

Fowling around

Chirping
Apr 20, 2015
So I have a bourbon red hen, 3 bronze hens and a bronze tom. They are all heritage birds. The bourbon has been laying every other day. I do not know if she has been with a tom before I put her with one or not. But we will know in 28 days just set 3 of her eggs and 36 eggs in the bator. Question one - The hens I just bought were sitting on a brood of eggs, how long before they start laying again? Question 2 - How long do turkeys lay? Question 3- Do I clip their wings just like my chickens, and how high can they get off the ground with their wings clipped? Any and all help is appreciated.
The bourbon red laid the same day I brought her home, just wondering how long turkeys may wait after being moved. I read sometimes a chicken will stop laying for up to three weeks after being stressed.

So 30 views and no answers. Well I have seen the Tom breeding this week so they are again receptive does this mean they are going to start laying again. Today is the first day since I have had them he has bred and I pay attention to my birds before today when he got close the hens would run away.

So I have a bourbon red hen, 3 bronze hens and a bronze tom. They are all heritage birds. The bourbon has been laying every other day. I do not know if she has been with a tom before I put her with one or not. But we will know in 28 days just set 3 of her eggs and 36 eggs in the bator. Question one - The hens I just bought were sitting on a brood of eggs, how long before they start laying again? Question 2 - How long do turkeys lay? Question 3- Do I clip their wings just like my chickens, and how high can they get off the ground with their wings clipped? Any and all help is appreciated.
The bourbon red laid the same day I brought her home, just wondering how long turkeys may wait after being moved. I read sometimes a chicken will stop laying for up to three weeks after being stressed.

Well, you asked a lot of questions that can all be answered "it depends". But here goes:

You will actually know if the BR has been with a tom because candling will reveal development after about a week.

After broodiness is broken, it may be two weeks or two months or next year before they lay again. It's up to them, not to you.

Turkeys CAN lay all year, but since they aren't typically selected for egg laying ability, they will generally lay 60-80 eggs in a season.

A heritage turkey has exceptionally strong legs and I've seen them hop on my roosts 6 feet up without flapping. So I am not sure how much good wing trimming will do, but if you do it, it would be done the same.

After a severe trauma (dog ripped through cyclone fence and killed a bunch of my birds), my hens didn't start to lay for more than two months. So a far less stressful move should not disrupt laying for too long.

Thank you for the reply. I trimmed their wings and they have not tried to fly off or get out. They have a very large area to roam and seem content. Crossing my fingers on the other girls starting back laying. Hoping them becoming receptive to the tom again is a good sign. I know I asked a lot, but I had a lot to ask. These are my first turkeys so I am pretty much in the dark. I have raised chickens, cows, and hogs and that is it. Just didn't know how close a turkey would be to other fowl. Thank You again

Back
Top Bottom