Tips on how to re-introduce a separated chick back to the flock

Jrod2388

Hatching
May 1, 2024
I had/have a sick chick (Daisy). I separated Daisy from the flock 12 days ago and she's been getting better. Today I moved the others into the coop but decided to leave one of the calmer ones (Halo) behind and put them together to start warming Daisy back into flock life. Halo is now picking at Daisy's tail feathers and bullying her around a little bit. Thoughts, comments, concerns? Thank you in advance for the help!

How old is the chick? I've found placing newbies in after dark helps things settle in easier. Does Halo look just like Daisy and does Daisy look like the rest of the chicks?

Thanks for the quick response. The chicks are 7 1/2 weeks old. I have six chicks and they all are different breeds, so no, Daisy and Halo don’t look alike. I would say Daisy is slightly undersized, possibly from eating less due to the illness/injury/whatever exactly was wrong with her

Have you tried simply tossing both chicks in with the others? At 7 1/2 weeks they may just accept them with minimal fuss.

In the future it's best to isolate sick/injured birds in line of sight with the flock. Best case scenario you simply open the cage when they've recovered and they just rejoin the others.

Have you tried simply tossing both chicks in with the others? At 7 1/2 weeks they may just accept them with minimal fuss.

In the future it's best to isolate sick/injured birds in line of sight with the flock. Best case scenario you simply open the cage when they've recovered and they just rejoin the others.
I have not tried putting Daisy back in with the flock, she still seems vulnerable (little off balance and quivering legs) I'm afraid she'll get steamrolled. I wanted to give her some time with 1 other chick for a brief period before I try throwing her back in with the whole group

I have not tried putting Daisy back in with the flock, she still seems vulnerable (little off balance and quivering legs) I'm afraid she'll get steamrolled. I wanted to give her some time with 1 other chick for a brief period before I try throwing her back in with the whole group
How much space do you have for the larger group vs just Daisy and Halo? How many other chicks are there? My guess is the larger group won't even pay her any attention, provided there's enough to keep them busy.

If you don't have time to supervise then don't do it, but if you do it wouldn't hurt to try. Because Halo seems bored and has nothing else to focus on other than Daisy.

How much space do you have for the larger group vs just Daisy and Halo? How many other chicks are there? My guess is the larger group won't even pay her any attention, provided there's enough to keep them busy.

If you don't have time to supervise then don't do it, but if you do it wouldn't hurt to try. Because Halo seems bored and has nothing else to focus on other than Daisy.
The other 4 are in the coop, 6’x5’ and Halo and Daisy are in the 4’x4’ brooder. I hadn’t considered that

Back
Top Bottom