a few too many? will she cope?

i have another broody but im worried that the chicks wont bond with her if i put them under her...wont they be used to 'their' mum now and run away if i put them under another chicken? they are now all fluffed up and out the eggs (actually 3 days and 4 days old now) so i didnt think the other hen will accept them?

I had a small hen raise 14 chicks without any problems. You would just see little chick heads popping up from under her. Very cute. I think your hen will be fine.

Keep in mind that chicks raised by the hen seem to be a little tougher. The standard temp for a brooder at 95 degrees for the first week always seemed high to me, I started mine out at 89 and they were fine, at 4 weeks they were almost completely feathered with the temp at 72 degrees below the heat source and they are as happy as can be
smile.png
but, like someone else said just watch them, if mom and chicks seem to be doing fine then I would leave them with her. If she can't fit them under her and some are cold you could always put a heat lamp out there for them as well. I'm not sure about putting some under the other broody, will the mother even let you take them? If you want to try, just do it when it's dark, and watch very closely.

Quote:
HAHA so do I!

I think the hen will do fine with all the chicks. I've heard of them raising 18-20 quite often.

Quote:
I'd like to hear more about this. Can you supply a link?

I would think that the number of chicks a hen could cover is based on her size and nightime temps. If the weather turns nippy at night, is there a way for you to supply supplemental heat? That way the ones on the edges can still stay warm.
I think, as they chill they will snuggle in to the center, pushing the warm ones to the edges.
As the chicks get bigger, she will stand to cover them. Chances are that she won't squish them. Also, they will need less heat from her.
Dale-Ann

Quote:

I would think that the number of chicks a hen could cover is based on her size and nightime temps. If the weather turns nippy at night, is there a way for you to supply supplemental heat? That way the ones on the edges can still stay warm.
I think, as they chill they will snuggle in to the center, pushing the warm ones to the edges.
As the chicks get bigger, she will stand to cover them. Chances are that she won't squish them. Also, they will need less heat from her.
Dale-Ann

It's information I have read here and there in my general research and most of the chickens referenced are what might be considered more standard varieties of layers and meat birds. The university experiment stations don't use ornamental chickens much as far as I can tell and that would be expected. I got some information from local extension office and from the library, but there is one report that mentions it specifically that you can download at the Success with Poultry blog (see the Wednesday, 27 April 2011 entry).

Quote:

Dale-Ann

It's information I have read here and there in my general research and most of the chickens referenced are what might be considered more standard varieties of layers and meat birds. The university experiment stations don't use ornamental chickens much as far as I can tell and that would be expected. I got some information from local extension office and from the library, but there is one report that mentions it specifically that you can download at the Success with Poultry blog (see the Wednesday, 27 April 2011 entry).

Thank you!
Dale-Ann

that link has a wonderfully informative video about coccidiosis, for the first time in my life i understand the cycle now! many thanks

Here are some tips that have worked for me. #1 whatever she can sit on, say she sit 7 eggs and can cover them. shecan take 14 chicks she needs to be 3 weeks broody at least!! let her here them and then put them in with her and watch her for a minuet. If she go's after them, she is not reatty to have chicks at all !!! you can do this to any chicks up to1week old to any hen this way. It has not faeld me yet!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom