1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A First timer, Do i need a rooster to get eggs from a chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rode Island Red 2008, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Rode Island Red 2008

Rode Island Red 2008 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    I was wondering if i needed a rooster to get my eggs from a chicken.[​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    No. Hens will ovulate (produce eggs) with or without a man around - just like humans. [​IMG]

You only need a rooster if you want FERTILE (hatching) eggs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  3. 22chickenlover

22chickenlover New Egg

Apr 30, 2012
    I don't get it, a woman need a man to get a baby, so do the chicken need a rooster to get egg right? please let me know, or do you mean if you want egg for food, you don't need rooster, but if you want the egg to be a chicken, the you need a rooster, is that what you mean? hope I understand it right!! pls let me know. Thanks

4. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Hens get their "period" every day and lay a egg. If the egg is fertile (because you have a rooster) - when treated properly (incubated or hatched by a broody hen) then it would be a chick. You can eat fertile or unfertilized eggs. Hens do not need roosters- unless you want one to protect the flock - or make babies [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A hen will lay eggs whether there is a rooster around or not. You do not need a rooster to get eggs.

The eggs will not be fertile unless there is a rooster around. You need a rooster to hatch eggs.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Humans, deer, or chickens, it does not matter. The female produces an egg. For a woman it is every 28-29 days. For a chicken? It can be as often as every 24 hours.

However, if a woman doesn't not have relations with a man, who makes her egg fertile, ie, conception occurs, and thus, she becomes pregnant, she simply passes the non-fertile egg with her period. If a hen does not have a rooster around to fertilize her eggs, she merely passes the egg every 24 hours of so. That's all there is to it.

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Of course, you need a rooster for brown eggs. The roosters lay brown eggs...

Totally messing with you.

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nope.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Definately messing with you - it's only if you want blue eggs. [​IMG]

10. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    No rooster is needed. You can just walk up to the hen and reach under her and get the eggs yourself. Besides, the rooster can't carry but one egg at a time back to the house. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by