A ? for practicing Catholics (not a debate!)

Quote:
Yes, again not looking for debate, but...
I will never again wear slacks in a church, any church. I would just be too uncomfortable. As for the head covering, I would be uncomfortable without one of them too, but that I might be able to overcome.

I would never wear slacks in church either. I have 2 dresses, one for marryin', one for buryin'. I'm pretty sure head covering is no longer required, but I just like the concept of it. It reminds me I am in a holy place and need to behave according. Bit odd when you think of it, but I am old fashioned that way. Better safe than sorry. And a lovely gesture to your Dad.

Do what YOU are comfortable with.

No head covering is not required.

Gosh I wish I could remember what it was called, born Catholic, educated in Catholic school, still Catholic and I can't remember what I was taught in elementary school. Apos -- something or other

Any how, you will see some of the great grand mother little old ladies still wearing their intricately crocheted Apos--- what ever.

I'm old enough to remember the latin masses, and stuff like that. I remember my mother and sister wearing thiers.

Okay, may I ask a question here? I am NOT trying to start a debate either-I am curious.
smile.png
What is the purpose of the head-covering?

Quote:
I was baptized Catholic and had catholic grandparents. As I child I went to church with them. As a teen I went to church with a catholic friend. We NEVER wore head coverings and I am 47 now.

Ditto

Quote:
As simply as I know how to put it, as a sign of humility and respect. Same goes for the dresses in my mind. It puts you in the right state of mind to be able to absorb the day's teachings. Just MHO.

Quote:
As simply as I know how to put it, as a sign of humility and respect. Same goes for the dresses in my mind. It puts you in the right state of mind to be able to absorb the day's teachings. Just MHO.

Humility was what my first reaction was. Same reason men have to remove head coverings. Not saying it's right, just the way it has always been. Not just the Catholic church, btw, but also Episcopalian.

I was wondering what the head covering was for also. Thanks for explaining.
I am not Catholic. My husband is. I've been married for 11 years. My children go to a Catholic school and church. Until I read the OP I had never heard of the woman wearing head coverings. I think the best thing to do is to tell your dad you want to go to church with him. And ask him if it is still custom.

I would just do what you are comfortable in! Personally, I haven't seen a head covering in all my 22 years as a part of the catholic church, BUT if you feel comfortable that way I don't think anyone else would mind if you wore one!

Back
Top Bottom