A ? for practicing Catholics (not a debate!)

Quote:
As simply as I know how to put it, as a sign of humility and respect. Same goes for the dresses in my mind. It puts you in the right state of mind to be able to absorb the day's teachings. Just MHO.

Humility was what my first reaction was. Same reason men have to remove head coverings. Not saying it's right, just the way it has always been. Not just the Catholic church, btw, but also Episcopalian.

Yeah, my dad's Catholic, mom was episcopalian. They agreed when they married to raise us kids in the Catholic church.

Okay, thank you!
I wear a head-covering all the time. I am not familiar with Catholics, and I didn't realize that was one of the Catholic teachings.
This is the reason I wear mine:
1 Corinthians 11 (King James Version)

1Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

2Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

3But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

I wear one all the time simply because I feel like I never know when I need to pray-I pray all day long. It is just easier to wear it all the time.
smile.png

I do see women wear them, maybe one or two in the parish. If you feel comfortable doing so, then go ahead. If you don't, you'll still fit in just fine. Enjoy your visit to FL.
smile.png

I've never been a Catholic but had friends who were over the years. I remember when they changed several rules all at once, like saying mass in English and meat on Friday being OK. I'm thinking the head covering rule went out at this time. I remember attending a Catholic funeral around 1970 and being warned I would be expected to wear a head covering; the service was in Latin. I'd probably ask my dad what the custom was at his church and what he would prefer.

Enjoy your trip!

Can someone link me to info about this kind of common practice I've never had to do/seen/etc?

And what is this?
"I know to keep my fingers out of the holy water and that I can't take communion."

Maybe it's just the Virginia catholic churches, idk, but all of this is new news to me!

Well, I just talked to my dad. Keep in mind that he lives in a retirement town, full of "snowbirds".

He said in his church, at each mass there are at least 8 or 10 women that do still wear the headcoverings. He said that without exception, these women are all northeners; so I guess it's what is practiced in each church. Also, the parishioners in his church choose not to eat meat on Fridays, although the Church as a whole allows it.

Secuono, again I do not wish to open this thread up for debate, but I was wrong on that and Dawg was correct. I would be allowed to use the holy water as a simple prayer or blessing. I would not however be allowed to take communion.

ETA: Changed "fish" to "meat".

Last edited:
I'm not trying to debate, I want someone to tell me what's going on so I can 'learn' this info I've never been aware of. It's all new, I don't object anyone's choices, etc.
Y'all can PM me instead of posting here as to not cause issues.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, again not looking for debate, but...
I will never again wear slacks in a church, any church. I would just be too uncomfortable. As for the head covering, I would be uncomfortable without one of them too, but that I might be able to overcome.

I think that that gives you your answer. Wear a dress, and take a head covering along. Sit in the parking lot for a few minutes to look at what the other women are doing. If they are wearing head coverings, put it on, if not, don't. I am not Catholic, but an aunt who is visits each year and I end up taking her to Ash Wednesday mass (usually followed or preceded by attending my church (Lutheran). Also, my step-daughter and her family are Catholic, so we occasionally attend various services with them

I have not noticed most women wearing head coverings, and I think I would if all the women did. When I was a kid, all the other kids in the neighborhood were Catholic; seems like what the girls wore was a big bow in their hair; their mothers wore doily-like pieces of lace on top of their hair.

When my girls were in elementary school,about the mid 70's, the church did go thru some changes and became a bit more permissive in the 'rules' that everyone had thought were important. I know that the people in our parish were in an uproar over several of them, especially the one where they said that there would be no confirmation and first communion processional. And the order that women had to wear head coverings went by the wayside at the same time. At the same time, as others have mentioned, it was no longer a requirement to abstain from eating meat on Fridays, there were a few other things. I was not a Catholic, but my kids were going to the neighborhood Catholic school and were required to attend mass, take confirmation classes, and follow protocal of the church. Anyway Kat, I feel that if you want to make your Dad happy, it would be nice to go with him and feel comfortable with him in his place of worship. If you don't wear a head covering and a dress, and feel out of place it might affect the experience with your Dad. So take them with you, and if you feel the need, wear them.

In our town, Catholics didn't wear head coverings...the Jewish does. The Hispanic Catholics still wear their manillas.

Just wear what you feel comfortable with. After all, you are showing respect.

Back
Top Bottom