A ? for practicing Catholics (not a debate!)

Head coverings have been a universal sign of humility for as long as this green marble has been around. It is required in many religions and a choice in others. Grit, since you have expressed being uncomfortable without one on, then go ahead and wear one. No one is going to look funny at you.

Enjoy your visit!!!

Just putting my 2 cents in...

There are still sects of Catholicism that separate the men from the women in the church and the women are still required to wear head coverings. My sister was a member of such a Catholic church; they are considered "Pre-Vatican."

If it makes you feel more comfortable, by all means, bring one and wear it. It might also make your dad smile that he raised his little girl to be demure and humble.

Wouldn't you rather be overdressed for an occasion than underdressed?

Thanks y'all.
smile.png

Still have to get all our ducks in a row before we can go, but I like to plan ahead.
smile.png

ETA: And aren't these pretty:

http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/Headcoverings_Veils.html

Last edited:
Just a note - I just want to clarify about the fish on Friday. It IS actually still *required*, but it is permissable to subsitute giving up meat for another small sacrifice. It's really not about meat, but about remembering that Friday is the day traditionally held when Jesus died, and we should sacrifice something, again traditionally red meat, because of this.

It's nice that you really care about your father, even in where you differ. I've actually only seen two people wear veils; an older lady, who is a convert from Episcapalian, and my boyfriend's sister.

Quote:
I was baptized Catholic and had catholic grandparents. As I child I went to church with them. As a teen I went to church with a catholic friend. We NEVER wore head coverings and I am 47 now.

Ditto

Ditto ditto and I'm 50.... my folks are Catholic and mom never wore a head covering and also wore NICE clothes that weren't dresses.

Does God really care what we are wearing?

Quote:
Ditto

Ditto ditto and I'm 50.... my folks are Catholic and mom never wore a head covering and also wore NICE clothes that weren't dresses.

Does God really care what we are wearing?

In my world, no He doesn't. But others have been raised to show respect and humility by their clothing. Or their parents have been and they do the same to show respect for their parents.

Quote:
I was baptized Catholic and had catholic grandparents. As I child I went to church with them. As a teen I went to church with a catholic friend. We NEVER wore head coverings and I am 47 now.

I also went to a Catholic school through 5th grade and my parents are Catholic. No one ever wore a head covering other than the nuns, but that being said, wear what will make YOU comfortable. BTW, my children's Grandmother is 94 and still attends mass every Sunday, she doesn't wear a head covering, and she is a very devout Catholic. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom