A "frugal" (read: cheap) brooder cover

Henicillin

Pill Counting Pullet
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
East Nassau, NY
At the ripe old age of nine days old, my chicks are discovering the joys of their rapidly developing wings, and are now occasionally fluttering their way around their little world. One of my Dominique chicks, who is an adventuresome sort, attempted to get up to the edge of the brooder while I was feeding and watering the crew this morning. Obviously, it was high time to advance to Level II of Baby Chicken Containment, as I'd rather not come home one evening to escapees. DH offered to make a screen top, but I'm not a big fan of metal screens, as I'm very likely to poke myself repeatedly with any exposed edges (I'm a klutz - don't judge me, man). So, I wandered around Home Depot and Family Dollar this afternoon trying to come up with a suitable alternative. After quite a bit of moseying, inspiration struck at last.

It turns out that a cheap mesh laundry bag cut along a side seam and the bottom seam to form one large, single-layer panel, then stretched across the brooder top and tied down to secure it makes a more than adequate cover. Granted, it looks pretty craptacular, but the chicks don't mind - well, except for Miss Dominique, who was last observed standing on one of the perches and eyeing the new "sky" appraisingly.

They grow so fast... *sniffle*

Having been snagged by our screen top more than I care to remember in last 6 weeks, I'd take craptastic over gouged out hands and forearms I think. Innovation, congrats! Edited for: Had to add be careful with brooder light but I'm sure that was a given!

Last edited:
I was initially a bit concerned about the light, but it's working out quite well - the temp in the brooder is stable, and the mesh is just warm. It probably helps that the bulb is one of those 250-watt lights from hell that heats things up nicely from a good distance, so it's not all that close to the cover.

Miss Thang is still eyeballing the new development every so often - you can almost see the gears turning in her tiny chick brain. "Hmm... what is that, and can it be eaten, pecked, or climbed?"

Back
Top Bottom