Stock tank Brooder converted to coop

blallik

Hatching
May 2, 2020
Connecticut, USA
Wanting my pullets to get more full-size before try to introduce them to the flock, I decided to build a little transitional coop this year out of the brooder, which is an old metal stock tank. I just used three 3'9" Home Depot calls ledger board – rough cut 1 x 8 – screwed to 3 short pieces of 2 x 3. I used the bandsaw to cut the ends of the two by threes to fit into the groove on the stock tank, and put an eyebolt into one of them to receive an old tent stake that secures it when shut. I cut the two by threes snug enough to be friction tight, but the eyebolt and stake give me peace of mind. The cut out for the door is 8 x 10", with a piece of 2 x 3 across the top to stop it from swinging in, leaving about an 8 in. square opening – big enough for pullets. An old closet rod serves as a perch, both for the brooder and the coop, which I'm keeping outside in a garden hoop house that I covered with chicken wire. I had all this stuff on hand, but apart from the stock tank, materials would come in at under $20, and the chickens, having been raised in the stock tank, knew right where to go when I put it outside.
Having received good advice on these forums, I thought I would share my idea with you.

20200514_122043.jpg

20200514_122110.jpg
20200514_122138.jpg
20200514_122200.jpg
20200514_122149.jpg
20200514_122300.jpg

Appreciate your concerns, but I am just making this available as a nighttime lock-up, and only for a few weeks. Obviously would need ventilation for summer daytime use, but that is not what I am planning. Maybe should have been more clear?

Appreciate your concerns, but I am just making this available as a nighttime lock-up, and only for a few weeks. Obviously would need ventilation for summer daytime use, but that is not what I am planning. Maybe should have been more clear?
You need ventilation all year, all day, even in freezing weather. Not just summer daytime.

Wanting my pullets to get more full-size before try to introduce them to the flock, I decided to build a little transitional coop this year out of the brooder
How long will that be?
Is main flocks coop and run adjacent to this one?

How is wooden front attached to the tank?

Belated Welcome to BYC! @blallik
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1589489642224.png

HI, I'm in CT, main coop is in same yard, not adjacent, hens roam around this hoop house. Minks have been a problem, especially with pullets, so I just wanted to get them out of the house and into the yard at 6 weeks without worrying about the predators. I don't have a garage or a barn.There is a tongue cut on the bottom of the two by threes,as in one of my pictures,that fits into a groove on the edge of the stock tank, just held on top with the eyebolt. Hoping to get them out there In another six weeks...

Back
Top Bottom