Run to Outdoor Brooder Conversion -- Rush Job

And it's done!

It's on the flattest ground in the yard with minimal ground-contact issues so I used bricks inside to block up these little cracks.

0520211835.jpg

Then I bedded it with straw for direct ground contact, shavings on top of that, and paper towels for the first couple days.

0520211939.jpg

I put the 150w bulb in and it held a steady 95 on a brick directly underneath it at about 68-70 degrees ambient. I lowered the chain and am waiting for it to stabilize so I can see what the temperature about 10-12" from directly under the light is.

0520211959a.jpg

(The brick isn't permanent, just my proxy for the height of a chick's back. :)

I'm going to run it all night to make sure everything is nice and warm for chicks who should arrive at the post office on the 7am truck.

A quick question.....

Do you get much wind there?

If so pounding in a couple T posts to brace it so it cannot flip would help.

OH and how many youngins are you getting?

We only get much wind during hurricanes and tropical storms, mostly later in the year. This is a sheltered spot against storms -- but I do have a few t-posts and making sure is probably a good thing.

I ordered a dozen from Ideal that are coming tomorrow and 25 from Welp in 2 weeks.

I'm planning on selling at least half as started pullets and POL pullets.

We only get much wind during hurricanes and tropical storms, mostly later in the year. This is a sheltered spot against storms -- but I do have a few t-posts and making sure is probably a good thing.

I ordered a dozen from Ideal that are coming tomorrow and 25 from Welp in 2 weeks.

I'm planning on selling at least half as started pullets and POL pullets.

Yeah making sure can't hurt. I had a brief panic moment about wind as ours picked up.

I look forward to seeing pics!

OK, nix on the hammered staples. All I can manage is to bend them. Plan B is screws and fender washers. I'll have to draft the 15yo to help me wrestle wire tomorrow afternoon when I'm home from work and then finish Monday after DS#1 returns the metal shears.

I know you are long done with this project, but an alternative that is working well for me is "narrow crown" (1/4) staples in a pneumatic gun. I have cordless, Ryobi, but it could easily be done using a compressor driven stapler. If you already have a compressor, Harbor Freight has a Narrow Crown Stapler for only $30. The 7/8" staples hold wire well, and it is much quicker than either by hand or driving screws with washers. I'm just adding here for any future readers!

I know you are long done with this project, but an alternative that is working well for me is "narrow crown" (1/4) staples in a pneumatic gun. I have cordless, Ryobi, but it could easily be done using a compressor driven stapler. If you already have a compressor, Harbor Freight has a Narrow Crown Stapler for only $30. The 7/8" staples hold wire well, and it is much quicker than either by hand or driving screws with washers. I'm just adding here for any future readers!

Good tip.

I ended up with a stapler much like that and used it to put the wire onto the screen doors I used in my big coop.

Back
Top Bottom