A full grown roo with batnams? hellllpppp

Iheartchicks<3:)

Songster
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
Mount Vernon, WA
My first question is, how are batnams with laying? I really want some because my hen is on the smaller side and.. well they are just cute
smile.png
How is there egg production? Will a full grown rooster hurt them? Are they good pets? Give me all you know!
wink.png

Last edited:
I have one bantam hen. Her father was a bantam buff brahma and her mother was a standard buff cochin. She is pretty mellow and lays small eggs consistently. Even during these winter months sha is laying 4 per week. I don't have a full size rooster only a OEGB.
57602_dscn2332.jpg

57602_dscn2635.jpg

57602_dscn2322.jpg

mine is smaller than her at 5 months!!! She is super skinney but laying an egg a day
smile.png
My roo is really nice, the only one who doesn not fight, and always rescues shelly when someone is trying to mate with her.... Your hen is super cute! Do you thank batnams would be ok?

It's hard to say about all bantams, you know, BREED plays a big role in all of your questions. As of laying, they typically lay eggs half the size as a normal one and again, breed plays a role in egg laying. Do you know about standard breeds and how they lay? That helps a ton. And how docile pretty much just depends on the bird itself and BREED.

I had some Mille Fleur banty pullets, along with full size hens and roos. My largest roo really liked one of my MF bantys and often mated with her, but she was so small you couldn't even see her when she was under him. His size and weight concerned me enough that I sold my little bantys because I didn't want them to get hurt. The one little pullet was already losing the feathers on her back from the roo. And as far as egg production...my little bantys were great layers of tiny little eggs! We always kept the banty eggs for us to eat and sold the large eggs.

Last edited:
I have 13 bantam girls, they are all great egg layers. I'm getting 4-5 eggs per day right now (some of the flock are just turning 5-6 months old) You'll be surprised too that while the eggs are smaller, they aren't that much smaller, especially as they lay more. Even my tiny little Porcelain D'uccle lays a pretty good size...
Also, they can be great sellers, people like the "novelty" of them

I have raised standards and bantams together for many years. However, be aware that the large roo can hurt the little hens. I have lost some of my bantam hens because the larger roo "popped" their neck when trying to mate. They can successfully mate too without problems, it just depends on how aggressive the roo can be.

Back
Top Bottom