A future with animals? Lookin for some advice

I will tell you - farming is hard work for little pay. Personally, I am too lazy to be a farmer. It is up with the sun and to bed with the moon - with alot of back breaking work inbetween. Animals need to be fed and cared for even if it is Saturday and you would like to sleep in just a little bit longer. And that goat decided to kid at 2 am after starting labor at mid-night - well guess what, the cows still need to be fed and milked at 5:30 am before you spend 8 hours baling the hay before the rain comes tomorrow. Equipment breaks down and animals get sick, and you need to stay on top of it all. It is a dangerous job - one of the top 10 most dangerous job in the US.

There are wonderful moments - like cleaning off the newborn goat and helping it get its first drink. Watching the sunrise and the dew settle across the landscape as you open the gate to let the cows out to pasture for the day, the smell of a fresh cut hayfield and the feeling of triumph as the last bale goes up the conveyer just as the rain starts to fall.

There are many different ways to go in a career with animals, so start looking at what is available to you. Try many things. If you can, join 4H or FFA. Out here, the FFA has a barn where alot of the kids raise their animals for the fair. They put in X amount of hours taking care of the general barn chores and extra time with their animals. They get experiance with alot of different animals and types of animals, and have the responcibility of raising, training and showing at the fair.

You can always be a gentleman farmer - have a 9-5 career that pays the bills and a home with some land, gardens and animals to care for as a hobby for your non-working hours. I have a couple of friends that do that. They hire high school students as farm hands for the summer - to help with the crops and such.

This post is very very very helpful! Thank you! Maybe commercial farming isn't the greatest fit for me. As I've done lots of searching latley and I think your hobby farm idea is ideal for me! After all, I think it's the horses (and of course chickens, duh!) That bring me in most. Anyone know where to start with horses??
big_smile.png

This post is very very very helpful! Thank you! Maybe commercial farming isn't the greatest fit for me. As I've done lots of searching latley and I think your hobby farm idea is ideal for me! After all, I think it's the horses (and of course chickens, duh!) That bring me in most. Anyone know where to start with horses??
big_smile.png

I am sure many riding stables and horse farms would love to have someone who is willing to do some work. Check around your area for riding stables and horse farms.

I will tell you - farming is hard work for little pay.  Personally, I am too lazy to be a farmer.  It is up with the sun and to bed with the moon - with alot of back breaking work inbetween.  Animals need to be fed and cared for even if it is Saturday and you would like to sleep in just a little bit longer.  And that goat decided to kid at 2 am after starting labor at mid-night - well guess what, the cows still need to be fed and milked at 5:30 am before you spend 8 hours baling the hay before the rain comes tomorrow.  Equipment breaks down and animals get sick, and you need to stay on top of it all.  It is a dangerous job - one of the top 10 most dangerous job in the US.

There are wonderful moments - like cleaning off the newborn goat and helping it get its first drink.  Watching the sunrise and the dew settle across the landscape as you open the gate to let the cows out to pasture for the day, the smell of a fresh cut hayfield and the feeling of triumph as the last bale goes up the conveyer just as the rain starts to fall.    

There are many different ways to go in a career with animals, so start looking at what is available to you.  Try many things.  If you can, join 4H or FFA.  Out here, the FFA has a barn where alot of the kids raise their animals for the fair.  They put in X amount of hours taking care of the general barn chores and extra time with their animals.  They get experiance with alot of different animals and types of animals, and have the responcibility of raising, training and showing at the fair. 

You can always be a gentleman farmer - have a 9-5 career that pays the bills and a home with some land, gardens and animals to care for as a hobby for your non-working hours.   I have a couple of friends that do that.  They hire high school students as farm hands for the summer - to help with the crops and such.
As a 4Her I agree completely with this post. As you can see in my location I do live on a 'farm' our goal is to be a educational farm to help the next generation learn were their food comes from. But to do that we still need to work out a heck of a lot of kinks. Because we just moved to our property we still need to finish fencing it, which by God's green earth is not cheap, special when fencing for horses and goats.
Each day I (just me) get up to feed and milk. We own 3 horses, two minis and one big one. All of them money pits. You have to always be on tje look out for colic, strains. And with animals they love to screw up with your calander. Always be ready to cancel something!
I'm not saying this career blpath is bad. I am glad someone else is looking into doing this! A majority of farmers who follow this patj down were I'm at are either big farmers who family been doing it for years, or guys who are in there 70s doing it, theeir family doing city work.
I agree with the internship too. Look into testing the waters before you dive. With horses the markets are extremely unsteady, be ready to be with a horse for 15+ years (depending on the age you get it) also there are a butt ton of heath stuff horses need.

I know this sounds like I am trying to scare you, sorry but I don't want to see a future farmer like me go into this blind :)

WE are constantly looking for honest reliable farm sitter. Might be a career to consider. We seldom get away together since we have so many critters to care for. We used to have a friend that would come stay at our house and take care of things for us to get away for a few days but she moved back to Puerto Rico. For someone that loved doing it and was willing to get bonded and insured I am sure there are many folks out there like us that would willing pay good money for a few days away with peace of mind.

To miss heny, thanks so much for your honest advice. I think Im going to go thru college, aim for a well paying job (both of which are going to be terribly difficult to obtain LOL) and save for horse related classes, and make 2 horses my goal! And of course, many many chickens!

Find a local horse stable and drop a resume' by or let them know you'd like to work with horses. Stables are usually looking for helping hands. Vet's offices can be stressful to work at (I know, I work at one) but there are some perks. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom