A good breed of ornamental waterfowl for beginners

I agree with Dr Todd.. go with the Ring Teal! I have both Mandarins and Ring Teal, along with several other species and the Ring teal are one of my favorites.. The drakes never lose their color and they make noises that to me and my dad sound like cats. Plus they are small to. This was our first year having birds to breed and the Ring teal and the Manadarins did the best. We had good luck with the Wood ducks to but you need a permit if you are every going to sell and trade them.

Yep, agreed with the southern hemisphere teal, also many of the treeducks are very easy to keep, they also stay in full color year round, and to me make the most beautiful sounds (whistles, A.K.A. whistling ducks) in the bird world to me. 3 require the Fed. permit, the others dont. They are tropical species though and do require winter protection in extremely cold climates, where most other migratory species dont though, so bare that in mind too.

ring teal, marble teal, chestnut breasted teal, the tree ducks, shelducks, sharpwing teal, cape teal, hottentot teal, and many many more, all stay in full color year round, are not Federally protected, and for the most part are easy to keep. There's a whole world out there in this field of aviculture with many beautiful species. Like has been mentioned, most of the northern hemisphere species to have a late summer eclipse plumage where they will look nearly identical to their hens, but their fall plumage is well worth the wait, however most of these are North American species and will require a Federal Sales and Disposal Permit if you intend to sell or dispose of to any other person in any way. If they are for your own person enjoyment, no permit is required. You will be issued a form 3-186 by a licensed breeder upon the completion of the sale for your records. This is all you need to legally keep them (on a Federal level) some states require permits as well. If you do get these and they do reproduce, you do still need to mark them by 1 of the 4 methods covered by the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service. Right hind toe removal, wing pinioning, web tattoo, or seamless bands.
Goggle around for some images, check various breeders websites, learn as much as you can, there's loads of info out there on them.
There are also 2 major magazines with classified sections for these birds as well.
The Gamebird Breeder's and Conservationist Gazette, and the American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society (A.P.W.S.)
I WOULD SUBSCRIBE TO THEM TOO IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING STARTED IN WATERFOWL. EACH HAS VARIOUS ARTICLES EACH ISSUE PERTAINING TO KEEPING OF VARIOUS SPECIES.

OH one more thing too, if you are underage (under 18) a parent will have to get the Federal Permit for you, you have to be over 18 to have it.
Best of luck too you, you will love these things once you get started!!

Two good sites for finding wild waterfowl species for sale:
The gamebird and waterfowl pages forum at:
http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/index.php

and Softbillsforsale at:
http://softbillsforsale.com/softbills-sale.asp

An excellent overall waterfowl site is:
http://harteman.nl/omnibus/index.html
and there are great photos at:
http://www.kooyandsons.com/?t_id=1

I agree with BBB on the APWS and Gazette subscription too. Most of the articles are junk these days but it's still worth keep up with.

Dr. Todd

yes, it's getting sad on some of the articles they are coming out with now a days in them, unfortunately seems like they publish just anyones articles now, most are lacking anymore in any "good" and helpful info. but you can still learn a little, but mainly get the classified ads for species location.

That forum was the one I was referring too also, but BYC frowns on posting links to other forums sites , thus the reason for no link

Quote:
They are about equal really, I get the Gazette right now, but as for the ads, it's the same people in both, so you wont miss anything there.
Think the A.P.W.S. often has better articles for beginers though

Uh oh, the BYC police might be eyeing me hard now, my mistake and I repent!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

Go with the APWS subscription, those folks are a real club, provide money to students, etc. whereas the Gazette is the skeleton of what used to be a great magazine. Oh, and don't wait by the mailbox for it, it may or may not arrive as there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when it comes out.
Dr. Todd

Quote:
Any luck on the teals?

When i first got mine, it was either Ringed or Hottentots. When i found out Hottentots were available to buy in the US, i had to get them.

I subscribed to both magazines as Boggy recommended when i first got here.

The primary reason you should get at least one is to get a list of the breeders and advertisements.

I think the APWS magazine sent me a special breeder's directory with my first issue, so basically it was 2 magazines.

The ads and breeders generally overlap or post in both from what i have seen, though.

Dr. Todd :

Uh oh, the BYC police might be eyeing me hard now, my mistake and I repent!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

Go with the APWS subscription, those folks are a real club, provide money to students, etc. whereas the Gazette is the skeleton of what used to be a great magazine. Oh, and don't wait by the mailbox for it, it may or may not arrive as there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when it comes out.
Dr. Todd

LOL
that's funny!

I do agree though, the Gazette has gone down hill, and nope, you never know when it's coming, might get one this issue, might not.

Yes HTT, the APWS does also have a directory they send out, I forgot about that, another good point to lean thier way​

Back
Top Bottom