A good breed of ornamental waterfowl for beginners

toejam

Never enough birds
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
SW Ohio, Wilmington
Hello, I would like to know what some types of ornamental waterfowl would be better for beginners.
I am looking for something that isnt very expensive. if possible put the price next to the name. Also say if you need a federal permit for them.
IF at all possible try to get a link or a picture of them.

***Finally, I am proabally going to get mandarians since my dad likes them, how much are they for a pair***

Thanks, justin

Justin,
Mandarins are a great bird to start with costing around 50.00 a pair. They keep pretty easy and don't rquire a permit.Woodducks are about the same but do require a permit, every state has different requirements so you would have to check your state, but if sell any you will need a federal permit. Some of the teals are easy to keep and on the lower end cost wise. Ring teal do not require a permit, Greenwing and Cinnamon are good for starting out but do require a permit they all are in the 50.00 range. If you go to our website there is a brief description on the 30 species we keep along with prices of the different species.

Thanks waterdog!

I also looked at the teal, and I like them too.. alsmost bought a pair at the ohio nationals.

Another question:
To sell a bird you dont need a permit to raise, do you need a permit to sell?
EXAMPLE: do you need a permit to sell mandarians?

Where did you find mandarins for 50.00 a pair. Mine were 50.00 per bird.

I agree they were pretty easy birds.

Last edited:
Go with ringed teal, they are mellow, in color all year, and extremely prolific (not that mandarins are not). An extra perk is that the male ringed teal will help rear the ducklings and both male and female are fantastic parents. Mandarins can be flighty and the drake loses all that gorgeous color during from May to September.

Here's a good link to a ringed teal photo and some basic information:
http://www.btinternet.com/~palmiped/waterfowl.htm

Also, being non-native you need no federal permits to keep, breed or sell them.

Dr. Todd

Last edited:
There are alot of breeders who sell mandarins for 40.00 - 60.00 a pair including us. The birds requiring a permit are birds that are native or migrate through North America, and a federal permit is required on those species if you are going to sell them. Every state has different requirements some require a state permit to keep native species and some do not just leaving it up to the federal permit. Hope this is a little clearer than my previous post.

Waterdog
yes, it is much clearer.
how much color do the mandrian lose?
What makes the teal and mandrian so much easier?

Sorry for all the questions.. I just need to know these things to see if my dad can let me get some ornamental ducks

Last edited:
Most waterfowl lose all there color when they moult the drake will look the same as the hen for a couple of months. Mandarins and some of the teal will adapt and breed in a smaller enclosure than other wild waterfowl as Dr Todd stated the ring teal will keep there color and are a relatively calm bird.

Males from the majority of northern hemisphere duck species (wood ducks, mandarins, mallards, etc.) go through a molt in the late spring/early summer into what is called their basic plumage, which in most cases resembles the plumage of the females. This could be a means of camouflaging more effectively in preparation for the annual wing molt that nearly all waterfowlgo through during the late summer each year. Unlike other birds (crows for example) that molt their wing feathers in a sequence that allows them to keep flying all year, waterfowl lose all their primary and secondary wing feathers at once and go flightless for 2-3 weeks. Shortly after the wing feathers have regrown, the male ducks begin to regain what is called their alternate plumage which they maintain through the fall, winter and early spring.

You do not see this same process in the males of most southern hemisphere duck species (including the ringed teal). The males of those species have a similar seasonal molt pattern but regain a their colorful plumage after each molt rather than go into a basic plumage for the summer.

I'm repeating myself, but in my experience you can't find a more mellow wild duck species to start with than the ringed teal, and being in color all year is a big perk too. In addition to being mellow, they are rather small with allows folks just getting into wild waterfowl to keep them in smaller enclosures with small water sources (even a big rubber dish is fine for a pond for a pair of ringed teal).

Dr. Todd

Back
Top Bottom