A good incubator for hatching my chicks!!!

SilkieLover1969

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2019
Just my experience on incubators once I got one that wasn't defective. Spend a little more for what works. You still must always purchase a hydrometer just as a backup. I keep 2 on hand at all times. Not all incubators are 100% accurate & than can be very detrimental. Some hydrometers may be inaccurate +/- a little. Don't purchase the cheap ones under $10 they just don't last & by the time you think they're accurate & read correctly you've lost many baby chicks. Still air incubators aren't for me. Digital auto turners with a fan is appropriate for even air & heat distribution. I have a 48 capacity one( no particular brand, made in China) you can get all over the internet under $80. I paid much less. Now they didn't inform me until I noticed water everywhere coming from the bottom that they drill holes from the bottom in case you add to much water. You get a duct tape & close up all holes on bottom securely. I must say mine holds humidity very well!!! Do not make the same mistake as myself & go adding water to every channel or even filling them all up. Not even at lockdown. You don't even fill the channels up with the 1/4 cup 2 middle channels in the beginning & no more than 1/4 cup in each. Measure it!!! Then when the alarm goes off(about every 4- 5 days depending on your location) you add 1/4 cup in two channels. Then on lockdown 1/4 cup in 4 channels the two middle & two outside. That's double! ABSOLUTELY DO NOT FILL EVERY CHANNEL!!! On mine there is a hole in the back for adding without opening. The bottle that is included leaks & it takes less than 30 seconds to add from the front to the channels. I candle only twice. Day 10 then day 17 for my Silkies & day 18 for the other breeds. Then leave them alone until they are finished hatching. I use the styrofoam that the unit arrived in to insulate it. Do not throw that out. The two ventilation spots on it must never be covered & in each side I have hand towels in to also aide in insulation & trust me that makes a big difference. Almost 1°. I'm keeping mine from 99°-100°. They read celcius. So 37.2° c-38°c is appropriate. Small fluctuations by a couple digits are fine. Be sure & change your batteries often. I change mine every 60 days. These are the numbers where I reside that prove successful. Feel free to contact me anytime for any incubation issues you may have & raising Silkies. Good luck on your babies!

I'm running my farm innovator 4250 dry this hatch. Only time I add water is when it gets low on humidity. I only add 20 mL of water when that happens. This hatch is so far much smoother than the last one!

Yes, I have to agree with you. I'm beginning to believe the dryer way is better. As I stated in an earlier post 30% to start then gradually increasing every few days is perfect. I never add extra water at any time & only when this alarm warns me that it's low. Below 30%. Even then it's only 1/4 cup in 2 channels. When broody hens sit on their eggs & therefore that's a dry hatch. Makes perfect sense.

Back
Top Bottom