A Good-Natured Rooster

warmheart

Songster
7 Years
Sep 30, 2012
Norton, MA
We brought home an ideal rooster for our situation! He is a Black-Breasted Red Old English Game bantam mixed with some bigger breed, like a chubby Cochin or something. He's a medium-sized rooster.

I had no idea a rooster could be so gentle, good-natured, mellow, and calm. He instantly created a mellow vibe that each pullet responded to right away. He is 3 years old, the girls are all around 6-7 months old. They swoon for him, and he clucks to call them to snacks, and lends his gentle, calm vibe to the little flock of 4 puillets.

He doesn't even crow loudly or much-- just a few morning announcements when he's let outside at 7:15am, a few in the afternoon, and he's had his say.

Anyone else love a good-natured roo?

Trying to find a suitable name for such a good, good-natured fellow. ;)

No wonder he's so mellow. He's in heaven! What mature man doesn't like the adoration of young chicks!
lol.png
Congratulations on your find. We need to see pictures and maybe we can find a name for him. Right now I'm thinking, 'Cheech'.

Cheech! Haha! That's hilarious. Big Easy is sweet though. My rooster is not so sweet, unfortunately. He gets into mating hysterics every now and then and chases the ladies all over the yard.

That's the only kind we keep here. All others must go. Lucky you!

Why put up with a human-aggressive rooster when you can have one like my Isaac, who does his duty and is completely easygoing and friendly? Check out the video for proof:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/384349/sdwd/14610#post_8894682

Another video from photobucket: http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/Mtnviewpoultry/Video Clips/?action=view&current=DSCN5537.mp4

Ike was not handled much as a chick. He comes from a line of Delawares chosen for temperament. Some breeders may not care about that, but 99% of backyard flock owners and a large portion of quality breeders sure do.

As I always say, I do not require my roosters to be cuddly, but I do require them to be intelligent enough not to attack the hand that feeds them.

Oh my, Speckledhen, what great rooster videos! Isaac seems such a darling fellow. Very gentle with the young girl, and happy to be relaxing in the hammock with the gentleman. I loved seeing these. Thank you so much for sharing! Is a Delaware similar in temperament to the Golden Comet (red sex-link cross)? I have a GC, and am astounded how outrageously friendly she is. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to share about your good-natured rooster. I love Ike! :)

Wish my Gypsy was a sweetie. Unfortunatly he picks on some of the leghorns and goes on mating frenzies if one misbehaves. If I just pet one of the hens he gets mad. Other wise he is a sweetheart. But he has his moments, I'm building a new coop for my baby chickies coming in this week. Ordering a Welsummer Roo and hoping he will be sweet.
I LOVE the name Rocky! Soo cute!

Oh my, Speckledhen, what great rooster videos! Isaac seems such a darling fellow. Very gentle with the young girl, and happy to be relaxing in the hammock with the gentleman. I loved seeing these. Thank you so much for sharing! Is a Delaware similar in temperament to the Golden Comet (red sex-link cross)? I have a GC, and am astounded how outrageously friendly she is. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to share about your good-natured rooster. I love Ike! :)

A proper Delaware is super friendly, though as chicks, they are so curious and mouthy, they bite everything in their explorations and their bids for attention. Even now, if you don't pick up my hen, Georgie, when she wants to be held, she will bite the fire out of you. You must pay homage to Georgie!

Some hatchery stock Dels don't have the proper temperament, but Ike comes from a good breeder line. I have never had any red or black sex links myself so can't say what they are like. We adore Isaac. He's my buddy, very attached to me, easy to handle, even at times himself asking for attention by tugging on your pants leg. He's been a real joy.

The rooster in my avatar was a love as well. We miss him very much, never a moment's trouble from him from the day he hatched. RIP, Suede. There's nothing like a friendly, easygoing rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom