A good rooster...... worth their weight in GOLD!

gg706

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
I just had an experience I will never forget! My chickens free range all day and when they see me, they come running up...they know a sucker when they see one!
tongue.png
I went in and got some treats and came back out and the roo (who is the most friendly and brave) came up and was getting food from me and giving it to the hens...before long they were all eating out of my hand. the rooster stopped suddenly and made the DANGER cluck....all the chickens took off and went under the shrubs by the fence. Just then I looked back and a Bird of Prey came flying over the house across the back yard! My dogs started barking and "chased" the flying bird! I was in AWE! The rooster must have heard the BoP coming? Didn't know my dogs were clued in either! WOW!

That's so awesome! I have a couple roosters like this too. It does my heart good when I see it happen. What I find impressive is that the roos see the bird before I do. What breed is he? Any pics of him?

Mine does it when pigeons fly by, I think he has yet to learn which birds are a threat
D.gif

My poor Hurra alerts when ANYTHING flies over the coop. A hawk. A crow. A sparrow. A butterfly. A gnat....
The girls ignore him, but let one of them alert and the whole flock heads for the coop.
Luckily, one of my dogs has always had a thing about circling birds and will run all over the yard chasing buzzards or hawks out of 'his' sky.

Hurra, the brave over achiever.

My poor Hurra alerts when ANYTHING flies over the coop. A hawk. A crow. A sparrow. A butterfly. A gnat....
The girls ignore him, but let one of them alert and the whole flock heads for the coop.
Luckily, one of my dogs has always had a thing about circling birds and will run all over the yard chasing buzzards or hawks out of 'his' sky.

Hurra, the brave over achiever.

lau.gif
he must of cried wolf once too often
wink.png

lau.gif
A gnat!!! That is hilarious! He is an Araucana. I actually didn't want any roosters.....now I will never be without one. That is good one, I would not put up with one that attacks me. My roo came at me one time when the testosterone started flowing and he met my foot at full force and the blow sent him into the fence. He has respected me ever since. If he were to get nasty, I would find a replacement. But as long as he has the understanding and minds his manners we get along fine.
Here is his pic he is approx. 11 months old

Yeah Tracylo, he's always clucking about the sky falling. The girls still come running when he does the 'I found something yummy! Come see!" call though. When I go in the run to give them treats, he starts picking up everything around his feet (pine tags, rocks, leaves), dancing and calling them frantically. I think he's jealous that I'm suddenly their treat provider - if only for a little while.

Handsome boy gg706. Where did you get him? I want some blue egg layers so bad. Hoping to maybe pick up a couple at the big Spring swap.

I got him at chicken scratch poultry....but I have had issues with the hens. So I would go elsewhere unless you just want a rooster. He is GREAT! I had 3 Araucana hens and have had to cull 2 of them. They eggbound attempting to lay their first egg. After 2 days I culled them. I have 1 hen left and she has not tried to lay yet so I am hopeful she will be able to lay. I can not say with absolute certainty it is a breeder/line issue, but 2 hens, same problem I have come to MY own conclusion. All the Araucana breeders hang out on thread Araucana Anyone? I would get eggs or chicks from 1 of them.

Great story gg706. I know what you mean. When my birds give the "danger" sound, my dogs are instantly on edge - ready to take on any and every intruder! Somehow they know the difference between general chicken chatter, the egg song, and an alert call. A lot of times it is a hawk, but once it was a coyote (that coyote is "no longer with us"). Glad the animals can communicate so well!

Back
Top Bottom