A happy day in Eleanor's recovery

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
In December, my Midnight Majesty Marans, Eleanor, experienced extreme frostbite on both feet. Despite multiple vet visits, she lost more than half of her toes and is left with feet that look like clubs. She has been living in a dog crate indoors ever since Christmas.

At first, she wouldn't leave the roost in her crate; she just sat there. I elevated her feed and held her water dish so she could drink. Slowly, she began venturing off the roost, first just inside the crate. She's now comfortable walking around on the floor of the bedroom.

Early this morning, I thought I heard an egg song and raced upstairs. Nope. Nothing.

Turns out she was just rehearsing her number. A few minutes ago, I collected the first egg Eleanor has laid since she's been living indoors! Of course, it would have been better if she hadn't dropped it from the roost and broke it. But, I will now add a nest box to her living arrangements.

I am so proud of Eleanor, who not only survived but is becoming more her old self every day!!

Back
Top Bottom