A happy ending to a wry neck chick story! (WITH PICS) - WITH UPDATE

I won't give up on her. She's goofy looking as ever, but still eating and drinking. I have to straighten her out in the morning because her head tries to twist around. Once she gets used to which way is up and which is down she holds it kind of sideways and eats and drinks. It is taking forever.

Sorry, I haven't been on here recently! How is she doing? Mine took a good 2 weeks, and then another week or two until she was totally fine! It is exhausting and frustrating, but in the end...worth it!

Don't give up....I felt that way on both occasions, it seemed to take forever (I think it was at least 10 days before I saw any improvement). When I could I would hold her with her neck in the right position as long as I could - seemed to help with the muscles...but then there were days I was so discouraged. Just when you think it is not going to get better, they do! Hang in there!

Just a quick update. I broke myself the beginning of last month so haven't had a chance. My little girl until a few weeks ago was the same. She is now acting like it never happened! It was a long road but she started holding her head up on occasion then for hours and now it's always up. She's still in the house, because putting her outside in this bitter cold after she's used to the warm wouldn't be good. But she is healthy happy and a total sweetheart!
Anyone else with this problem, hang in there. Our little white silkie took a very long time!

My silkie girl too a month or more! She is now in a dog run with 25 meat chicks! I have tried to re-integrate her, but the boys are terrible - so it will be a long process. I put other hatch mates with her from time to time, and they do ok together - the others just don't like to be "stuck" with her. Oh well.....it will all work eventually, but this round with her was the most difficult. She is doing great however!

My silkie girl too a month or more! She is now in a dog run with 25 meat chicks! I have tried to re-integrate her, but the boys are terrible - so it will be a long process. I put other hatch mates with her from time to time, and they do ok together - the others just don't like to be "stuck" with her. Oh well.....it will all work eventually, but this round with her was the most difficult. She is doing great however!

Glad yours is better too! I don't think we'll be putting her in with any boys. We have some hens that free range and I think that's going to be her calling. She can be a pet. :D

I have a buff orpington with the wry neck. this chick is about a week old. this thread is very helpful. I am already giving her vitamins.

Good luck! It took me a full month to see progress with my silkie girl, but she is now happy and finally integrated with her flock again! She is so beautiful, and many times I was ready to give up as no progress was made, but I am so glad I didn't.

I feed my flock fermented feed - which is a whole other thread on here, but I would encourage you to maybe wet a little of her feed so it is more like oatmeal as a chick with wry neck can have a hard time getting ahold of dry feed. This way it sticks together and they seem to be able to eat a bit more that way!

All the best!

That's great to here you're chick got better Chinzilla! I was in the exact same position as you, but with my sultan rooster Shanty when he was about 20 weeks old. he was one of my first chicken along with my hen Dot and didn't know much about chickens at that time. We had to syringe food and water into him and once he got really bad, we decided to take him to the vets and they offered to put him down, but I was determined to at least try before I gave up and after feeding him lots of vitamins, yoghurt, scrambled egg and fish oil tablets, within a couple of weeks he got better and I was so relieved I hadn't gone with what the vet thought I should do. I agree with you 100% in not giving up, it may take a lot of hard work, but it's worth it!

Last edited:
I have a chick who hade wry neck. I was so worry but then I fond this post so I thought its not getting enough vitamins. but it was stress from getting pick on. but its better now.

Thanks sooooo much for this post!! I followed all of your suggestions and my sweet little 2.5 week old barred rock has held her head upright for 3 days after a horrible 4 day of trauma and wre neck!! I felt so bad for her that I made an appt to have her euthanized Thursday morning when she was worse than ever!! Apparently she understood, and when I went to get her to take to the vet, her head was upright again! She has been back with her flock mates and healthy since!! It's All thanks to you and this post!!

Thanks sooooo much for this post!! I followed all of your suggestions and my sweet little 2.5 week old barred rock has held her head upright for 3 days after a horrible 4 day of trauma and wre neck!! I felt so bad for her that I made an appt to have her euthanized Thursday morning when she was worse than ever!! Apparently she understood, and when I went to get her to take to the vet, her head was upright again! She has been back with her flock mates and healthy since!! It's All thanks to you and this post!!

That's great news
wee.gif
! In my experience, the birds will have good days and horrible days, often they are the worst just before they get better! It is so easy to get discouraged! Congratulations on being a great chicken momma!

Back
Top Bottom