A happy midpoint to a sad story, Buddy's saga, + photo

Quote:
Yeah - he could have a bit of several breeds. He doesn't have too much of the herding tendencies. So far he hasn't been chasing smaller critters (cats, barnyard fowl, etc). Hopefully he continues to ignore them!

Very cool story, I hope he mellows out with your GP soon, he sure has a good life now with you!
hugs.gif

Nancy

hugs.gif
to you for taking in this poor fellow. I think that in time Buddy and your GP will come to an "understanding"...like you said your GP is dominate and Buddy is not use to any other dogs, let alone a male dog, so given a little time and patience I think you can work the "kinks" out. I also think if you were to give Buddy to someone else, may just sit him back a little. He is 7 years old and what you have done already is amazing. Wait it out a little while longer and see what happens
wink.png

You can try intruducing Buddy and the GP to eachother a few times aday...each one on a leash of course. When you do try this....try using words like...."easy" and "be nice". Also when you see any negative between the 2 like a growl ....firmly say "No, easy"...these are things I have done with my dogs and they seem to work pretty good. I have a male boxer and a male rottie., neither have been fixed.

Goodluck
love.gif

ETA: Thanks for the water works
hit.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, Barnyard, for the tip. I'll give it a try. Sometimes, when dogs are leashed, they become more defensive - but they obviously can't have free access to each other!
Also, thanks to all for the support! It's encouraging!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
This story brought tears to my eyes! You are so wonderful for taking Buddy in!

Not quite the same, but in August I took adopted a 7 year old beagle mix. He jumped out of the owner's car at the bank and the guy just left him running and confused on a busy street. We brought him into the radio station and tried to find the owner, who by the end of the day called the vet/shelter to say he had had enough of the dog and if he is found alive, he is up for adoption. I took him home with what little info the vet had on him. His name and age. At first he was very aggressive towards the cats and people he isn't used to. But, after 2 months he has finally settled in and his behavior is slowly getting better. (he has never been fixed and vet suggested he was too old unless I really insisted). I guess I am trying to say, when you get an older dog like that, who is used to a certain routine and certain things, it is a big adjustment for you and them to get used to everything. I feel bad because sometimes I feel like Thunder is "missing" something in his life and I can't read his mind! Heck, it took me 2 weeks to figure out what dog food he would eat!

Just hang in there and keep loving him and being patient. He may be a totally different dog in a short time!

Michelle, I remember that story! I'm glad Thunder is doing well! Did you have any "dominant dog" issues?
As far as neutering is concerned, most vets suggest (or won't do it w/out) a senior blood panal (usu. about $65) just to be sure the majpr organs are functioning correctly. But the benefits of neutering are worth it - eliminates testicular cancer among other things.
Thanks for the support!

Thank you for helping the dog. As a animal shelter volunteer for 18 years and several pure breed rescues, thank you.

I do like chow mixes, in fact I like most breeds and mixes. It is many owners that we actually dislike intensely.

Thank you

Sandi
Massachusetts

Back
Top Bottom