a hard decision, but in the end the right one :/

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by stumble_n_mumble, Nov 21, 2010.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    hey guys! so i had to make a hard decision yesterday.... i am 21 going away to college in Florida in a year for zoo animal science and i have a job lined up with disney's animal kingdom as a keeper. Anyway, i rescues two lizards from a pet store 5 years ago which needed vet care and everything. i was able to nurse them back to health and they were great pets! one was a bearded dragon and one was a leopard gecko. no one in my household likes the lizards and would take care of them for me when i leave for college so i knew i would have to find them a great home eventually.... anyway, i went to the local feed store where i good family friend of ours works and she said, " brandon look what i bought my son for his birthday!" and it was a whole tank set up for a bearded dragon... so a lightbulb clicked on and asked if she would want to adopt mine instead because they always do the right thing and take care of their animals.... so she talked to her son and he was ecstatic. they came over and fell in love with both my lizards, they both were used for education in middle schools with special education children which i am the "animal man" who brings in different animals each week. so they ended up adopting them right then and there. it was over so quick and fast i didn't have time to feel anything. im missing them now and know that it is the right thing because the kid was telling me about all the school projects hes done on these two specific lizards and everything... a great great kid. i got a call today about them and they said their rarely in their cages and watch tv with the boy and absolutely loves them to death. its a happy yet sad thing. i feel sad i lost them but happy i made someone else happy...... its so hard to adopt out animals [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    You are 100% cool! [​IMG]

3. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    That's really cool. I had a Tegu Monitor that was 3' long. Very tame. Took him to my daughters kindergarten class for show and tell. Kids loved it. My daughter now has a Ball Python that is very tame. Never bites. Her school won't let her bring it to class. Teacher is afraid of snakes.

I bet that kid is very happy.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    It is difficult but you did the right thing. Good luck and congrats on having a job when you graduate!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You did great.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I remember having to make that choice. I couldn't afford my horse's boarding fees and my college education at the same time, so I made the difficult decision to sell her. I'll never forget what it felt like to watch that trailer pull away with my horse in it. It was the right decision for both of us and I don't regret it, but I remember how hard it was. You've done the right thing and you'll have a wonderful college experience!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done! You made a child happy, and your pets will be well taken care of.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on finding them a home where they are truly loved. It sounds like they have a great home. I am so glad that you found someone that will take care of them like you would. I remember watching tv with my anoles and geckos when I was a kid. I thought I was the only one! Lol. And with you knowing them, you can keep up with them and how they are doing. Sounds like it worked out perfectly!

I know you will miss them terribly, but you did the right thing, and it sounds like it was meant to be.

Shelly

10. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    thank you guys so much for the support! believe it or not but having everyone weigh in has made me feel a whole lot better! thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by