A hawk just now almost got my chickens

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
Just now a hawk landed on the ground where my four chickens were on the edge of a spruce tree. Anne was at the kitchen table and heard one of the hens squawking, went out and yelled at the hawk and it left. She locked the three hens and the rooster up in the run, and we'll probably leave them there for most of today. It really gets me that people who want to raise/grow some of their own food can't have chickens anymore that can feel safe in their owners' yards because of so many hawks everywhere, especially at a time when we're on the verge of a depression.

Yes living in Indiana I feel fortunate to not have bears and mountain lions!
But the darn hawks are everywhere... I hear them crying and soaring above when I let my little ones out in their enclosed run.
I noticed yesterday that buzzards would run them off! Just kept circling it until it had to leave! I know crows will run them off too.
Last week I heard a commotion out in the horse pasture.. A hawk had a starling and was attempting getaway. But it was crying and the flock of starlings were attacking it! He did drop it and make his escape....
The term animal husbandry comes to mind... you are married to the farm! It is definately a full time commitment:D

Free-ranging is a lovely idea, but reality is that you have to have enough birds to be able to absorb the inevitable losses.

See Joe...the "I wish" game takes the posters wish and grants it with a twist. Then the next poster wishes for something...and the next person comes along and grants it with a twist.

so you said..."a hawk just now almost got my chickens..."

and I said....but it didn't, it got your wife.

hardy har har.

Hanging my head, kicking the dirt, turning my head and leaving because I guess it wasn't that funny.

No wait...it was. te he he.

Disclaimer: This is a funny. You posted in the games section...you had to expect something out of the ordinary would be posted.

me,
g

LOL
lol.png

you card.

leave jb alone.

Back
Top Bottom