A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Fish scales are as good as what you use with it. If what you use is not centered well on the device, it moves, or if there is flex, or stretch . . . . any and all of these things change the accuracy. Fish scales are best for dead weight that is well centered on the device. That is how they are designed to be used.

I used fish scales for a time, and decided against them later. Close always left doubt in my mind. If you are not concerned with precision, then they give you a reasonable idea what the bird weighs. They are cheap and accessible. I would recommend them above any other thing if precision is not the goal.

A bathroom scale is not especially useful.

The postal scales are excellent. They can accurately weigh very light weights, and the heavier weights. I can weigh a bird at 4-6 wks. or at 1 year.

The old cocker scales are great if you can get your hands on one and/or you are willing to pay what they cost.

If you're interested in showing, I would definitely show those Speckled Sussex without concern about their size. At 5 1/2 months, these are robust birds that appear to represent the breed well. Even if they don't win, you should be proud of them.
wow, wow wow, I agree completely! The Speckled Sussex need nice birds like these in the shows so folk can see how they should be properly bred! Don't mention the weight or stress it. Just go and have fun...and let us know how it goes!
Best Success,
Karen

Last edited:
Fish scales are as good as what you use with it. If what you use is not centered well on the device, it moves, or if there is flex, or stretch . . . . any and all of these things change the accuracy. Fish scales are best for dead weight that is well centered on the device. That is how they are designed to be used.

I used fish scales for a time, and decided against them later. Close always left doubt in my mind. If you are not concerned with precision, then they give you a reasonable idea what the bird weighs. They are cheap and accessible. I would recommend them above any other thing if precision is not the goal.

A bathroom scale is not especially useful.

The postal scales are excellent. They can accurately weigh very light weights, and the heavier weights. I can weigh a bird at 4-6 wks. or at 1 year.

The old cocker scales are great if you can get your hands on one and/or you are willing to pay what they cost.

I use a digital kitchen scale for the younger birds, but the large ones don't fit on it. When I try putting them in a box or other container on the scale I can't see the weight reading. My scale has no way to hold the readout after the item is removed. Guess I need to research postal scales now :)

Probably going to have to use a well constructed cage if I put the large birds on a postal type scale. My birds will blast out of cardboard boxes. Had one cockerel blast out the top of a show cage a couple of weeks ago. Luckily we were able to catch him and add extra reinforcement to the cage top, so he didn't escape a second time. Don't need that kind of drama any time. Especially when weighing chickens.

I use a digital kitchen scale for the younger birds, but the large ones don't fit on it. When I try putting them in a box or other container on the scale I can't see the weight reading. My scale has no way to hold the readout after the item is removed. Guess I need to research postal scales now :)

Probably going to have to use a well constructed cage if I put the large birds on a postal type scale. My birds will blast out of cardboard boxes. Had one cockerel blast out the top of a show cage a couple of weeks ago. Luckily we were able to catch him and add extra reinforcement to the cage top, so he didn't escape a second time. Don't need that kind of drama any time. Especially when weighing chickens.

The boxes I use for weighing have no holes or slit at the top for them to see light through the top. I glued solid cardboard to the box tops such that there is a fold down lid with a lip that extends down one side of the box. There are holes around the side for ventilation and I use those holes to thread baling twine through, under and over the top to tie the lid shut. There is no "blasting out" of these boxes. What they can't see through, they don't try to get through. They are the same boxes I use to take birds to the show in. Fashion yourself one good sturdy box just for weighing birds and make the top solid so no light goes through.

If you haven't tried putting a chicken in a dark pillow case--you should :)
Not one bird moved a muscle inside there. It was weird. Like holding a bag of sand.
And my birds will break out of boxes too--but apparently not pillow cases.
I put them in upside down so they lay on their back.
It worked very well with the fish scale--and so easy.

Last edited:
Hi,
frow.gif

Oh what lovely hackle! Pretty boy! Who are you going to breed him to?
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom