A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

I like the added emphasis on "economic qualities". Unfortunately, most think they can do all of their evaluating by looking at them. However, performance has to be proven. Otherwise it amounts to a lot of talk. It does make for interesting conversations, if they evolve beyond the overly simplistic "my birds lay so many eggs per week".

The simplest things can make a difference in the log run. They do not need to set records. They only need to be functional, and have some potential.

It will always be up to the breeders, because the judges cannot see who is productive or not. They can see who is excessively feathered. That matters more than many realize. Also size matters. If the birds were judged more critically on these two points, a difference would be made.

I am very proud! One of my Barred Rock cockerels took Super Show Champion at the Safford, AZ show January 16! There were 22 Barred Rocks entered from 3 different breeders; 10 cockerels. I entered 6 cockerels and got first through fifth place. Then the #1 took Best American and went on to win the whole show! I have been working really hard on my Barred Rocks, so nice to be recognized! In addition to a cash award, they gave out beautiful plaques this year to the Show Champion winner and Reserve Show Champion winner. Here I am with my win and Show Superintendant James Smith, then another photo with my bird.

I am very proud! One of my Barred Rock cockerels took Super Show Champion at the Safford, AZ show January 16! There were 22 Barred Rocks entered from 3 different breeders; 10 cockerels. I entered 6 cockerels and got first through fifth place. Then the #1 took Best American and went on to win the whole show! I have been working really hard on my Barred Rocks, so nice to be recognized! In addition to a cash award, they gave out beautiful plaques this year to the Show Champion winner and Reserve Show Champion winner. Here I am with my win and Show Superintendant James Smith, then another photo with my bird.

thumbsup.gif

Hi Marcy,
What a wonderful thing for you! Huge congrats!! Just great reward for all your hard work!
wee.gif

Woot! Woot!
Karen

For the 2016 breeding season there will be two pens of Columbian Wyandotte, one pen of White cock over CW hens, a pen of CW cock over White hens, two Buckeye pens and two pens of Cochin, as well as three pens of Delaware Bantam.

I plan in hatching 50 chicks from each Wyandotte pen, and 25 from the other pens.

Later if I have room, I have a nice trio of Blue Wyandotte.

What about the Delaware Bantams? How long have you been working with those? Do you heve photos?

I've had [the Bantam Delawares] now for two breeding season...beginning my third.

Very, very cool! I don't know much about bantams. Do you have any clue how they "made" these? Where did you get them? How do they conform to the expected (standard) weights, etc., of the breed? Do you plan to show them? If you hadn't told me they were bantam, I'd never have guessed. MAYBE by the way the male is holding his wings ... but LF Delaware males will hold their wings like that, too.

Ooops ... this is the LF thread. Maybe I should ask you these questions elsewhere?

Hello everyone. I've been raising chickens for about 7 years now and became interested in breeding to the standard about 4 years ago. I currently have silver laced wyandottes and black copper Marans. The two breeds are in separate stages in relation to their adherence to their standard, but I could really use advice on both. I was wondering how I could go about finding mentors for them? I'm mainly looking for someone I can share photos of them with and ask questions related to culling and setting up breeding pens. There is only one show a year here in Louisiana for them and it was cancelled last year, so I've had little success finding anyone local to me.

The wyandottes I feel are a better quality than the Marans, but I culled down to just a pair and there are qualities I don't see myself able to correct mating the two together. The main one being leg color.

I have a much larger flock of Marans, but they vary widely in type and the egg color is mediocre at best. I purchased five pullets last year from better stock and have already culled one from the group.

Thank you to anyone who could point me in the right direction. I highly enjoy this hobby and hope to contribute to the breeds I raise, not hinder them.

Last edited:
.... I currently have silver laced wyandottes and black copper Marans. The two breeds are in separate stages in relation to their adherence to their standard, but I could really use advice on both. I was wondering how I could go about finding mentors for them? I'm mainly looking for someone I can share photos of them with and ask questions related to culling and setting up breeding pens. There is only one show a year here in Louisiana for them and it was cancelled last year, so I've had little success finding anyone local to me.
Are the Texas shows a possibility for you? There are large shows in October (state fair in Dallas) and January (Bluebonnet Classic in College Station.)
Best wishes,
Angela (in Bastrop)

Back
Top Bottom