A Horsey BYC sibling?

bbRedMom

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
Central Arkansas
Hello!

My field fencing will be complete tomorrow, and while I am not ready to actually own a horse yet, I would like to start preparing. I have a barn, but no stalls, and no trailer.

Typing in "Horse Info" on google is overwhelming. Is there a great horse website like BYC out there? I'm really wanting to get into rescue, so breed doesn't matter to me. Thanks!

I was on a forum a long time ago, but it was so slow, that I stopped checking it. I can't even remember what it was called now.

What is it you need to know? There are alot of horse people here, have you checked with the search button what you are looking for?

If not, go ahead and post. I am still learning every day

Yes, I am very, very new! I am a city girl that has always wanted to live in the country. Well now I have my eight acres, two of which are now enclosed with field fence, and I just want to learn...everything!

Whats the best way to build a stall in a pre-existing barn?
Whats a good horse for a beginner?
Can horses and dogs get along?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Its hard to think of anything specific. Thanks for all the support.

I looooove big horses, especially drafts. They're just so ..sweet. When I worked for a large animal vet, my favorite trips were to the draft surrogates. Soooo pretty.

Of course, I also love little ponies. Such a dicotomy.

Hi yes most of the time dogs are good with horses but you don't want to let them start chasing the horse even in play because the horse could get hurt or the dog could get hurt.
A good starter horse is Quarter horse (my favorite) around 8 to 10 years old very well trained, not spooky, very calm, easy to catch in field, etc.
Just list any other questions I'm sure the BYC'ers will answer.
Good Luck!

Make sure you have a good support system. When we first bought horses 10 years ago, we had good friends that live about a mile down the road that were priceless with their advice and help. They had both grown up with horses and their knowledge was galaxies ahead of us.

Also, have a trailer just in case you need to get your horse to a vet, especially if you want to do rescue. I can't imagine NOT having a trailer. And with a trailer comes a pickup.....price of fuel - gas or diesel - is very high......

We have a barn with no stalls. If we need to put one of the horses by themselves, we have panels we set up in the barn for a temp stall. I don't believe in keeping horses in stalls.....they were meant to be outside, not standing in a stall all day. But the barn provides shelter in bad weather or when they want shade.

And before you ever buy or rescue a horse, do the math......how much hay will you need to buy, how much is it going to cost? Will you get it delivered or do you have to go pick it up and bring it home. Find out what your vet charges for routine stuff like dental work, shots and for more expensive things like house calls and x-rays. If you are really wanting to get into rescue, you really need to have a good relationship with a vet.

Find a farrier, get his costs. Are you going to have the horse shoed or leave it barefoot? You still have to trim! What about suppliments? Are you going to give grain or complete feed along with your hay? What about water? Do you have a trough? Automatic waterer? Do you have all the tack you need? Extra halters, leads, headstalls.....how about a saddle? Do you plan on riding Western or English? If you haven't ridden in a while, do you have someone you can go to for lessons (you might actually want to do this before you get your own horse) or a trainer that you can work with?

I hate to throw water on your dream, but these are all things that we learned AFTER we got our horses and things you need to consider now before you go buy one. It's been said before, if you can't afford all these things, you really shouldn't get a horse.

But if you can, good luck!
big_smile.png
I love my horses and would really hate it if we had to get rid of them. They definitely make my life more wonderful than if they weren't in it.

Quote:
I second that about the quarter horse...but I would add "gelding" to that. Yes, I'm partial. But when you get a bomb proof QH gelding...heaven for the beginner. I have a QH gelding and am constantly having the local farriers, vets, etc. offer to buy him because he is such a good boy all the way around. He has extensive training in English, Western including cutting, and he has been a therapy horse. In fact, he still is a therapy horse...he's MY therapy! I could talk about Joker all day, can you tell?LOL

Back
Top Bottom