A hot mess of issues!! From impacted/ sour crop to now seizure? Or maybe vitamin deficiency?

I agree that this could possibly be Mareks disease, but it is neurological for sure. It may not be something that you can identify, unless you get testing or a necropsy if he dies. Roosters can get injured because of their activity. He has symptoms of wry neck, and that and other strange symptoms can be caused by Mareks. Hopefully, itis not that, but I would continue the vitamin E dosage that @Wyorp Rock recommended.

I agree that this could possibly be Mareks disease, but it is neurological for sure. It may not be something that you can identify, unless you get testing or a necropsy if he dies. Roosters can get injured because of their activity. He has symptoms of wry neck, and that and other strange symptoms can be caused by Mareks. Hopefully, itis not that, but I would continue the vitamin E dosage that @Wyorp Rock recommended.
Editing to add: I’m noticing with his leg today he isn’t standing on it much. Leading me to think he has injured it. Also adding a pic of him standing on 1 leg bc he looks like a black flamingo lol.

So I should start it again. I thought I should. With marked I don’t think he would get better then bad again. And it’s not like he’s bad he only had 1 episode last night that he quickly fixed… compared to the first night we brought him in it was all night. He’s a normal chicken (aside from this knee) it seems when he tilted his head down last night it went under him causing the freak out but he pulled his head up. In the beginning of this neck issue he couldn’t do that at night he would panic. As the days went he was able to right himself more and more during the day but panic at night until we left a red light on that helped him orient himself. 2 nights 3 days of no wry neck and bam one episode at night but he fixed. Anywho I’m postin pics of the leg it’s the left one.

Attachments

• 4D6F0264-9D9D-4023-8808-2F550EC9F157.png
    4D6F0264-9D9D-4023-8808-2F550EC9F157.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 9C5EAA8C-D85D-41EF-A6AC-1ED0E67EE283.png
    9C5EAA8C-D85D-41EF-A6AC-1ED0E67EE283.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • DF5171F3-0AEA-4B6C-8EAD-0A153A790804.png
    DF5171F3-0AEA-4B6C-8EAD-0A153A790804.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 14D2E9E3-5966-4105-A06D-65CD75C2AB8C.png
    14D2E9E3-5966-4105-A06D-65CD75C2AB8C.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 5EB32D83-8CC7-4A20-8CE2-D7EDEB0BE2EC.png
    5EB32D83-8CC7-4A20-8CE2-D7EDEB0BE2EC.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
So I should start it again. I thought I should. With marked I don’t think he would get better then bad again. And it’s not like he’s bad he only had 1 episode last night that he quickly fixed… compared to the first night we brought him in it was all night. He’s a normal chicken (aside from this knee) it seems when he tilted his head down last night it went under him causing the freak out but he pulled his head up. In the beginning of this neck issue he couldn’t do that at night he would panic. As the days went he was able to right himself more and more during the day but panic at night until we left a red light on that helped him orient himself. 2 nights 3 days of no wry neck and bam one episode at night but he fixed. Anywho I’m postin pics of the leg it’s the left one.
What are your plans for this guy?
My daughter plans to add him into her breeding program. Other than that leg he seems healthy….oh and last nights “fall” off the roost 2 inches down. So far nothing tonight from him. It was to my understanding I. Severe cases of wry neck there could be “lasting” effects to where the neck “gets stuck” momentarily. If that makes sense….forgive me I should be sleeping :caf

Looks like the right leg to me, and looks like it's bent the wrong way. Am I seeing it wrong?
left as u r looking at him but yes his right leg edit to add he stands on it properly but it then goes forward. Today he isn’t standing much on it and I’m noticing some swelling in the joint

My daughter plans to add him into her breeding program. Other than that leg he seems healthy….oh and last nights “fall” off the roost 2 inches down. So far nothing tonight from him. It was to my understanding I. Severe cases of wry neck there could be “lasting” effects to where the neck “gets stuck” momentarily. If that makes sense….forgive me I should be sleeping :caf
That's what I figured. Does she not have a better healthier cockerel that can replace him?
Sorry, but this is not a bird I would choose for a breeding program. Too many issues at such a young age. Not being harsh, but if you breed with weakness you end up with weakness.

If you feel both legs at that joint by wrapping your hands around them, I'm betting you'll feel significant heat in the afflicted one. Could be a slipped tendon, possibly injured in that fall.

So I should start it again. I thought I should. With marked I don’t think he would get better then bad again. And it’s not like he’s bad he only had 1 episode last night that he quickly fixed… compared to the first night we brought him in it was all night. He’s a normal chicken (aside from this knee) it seems when he tilted his head down last night it went under him causing the freak out but he pulled his head up. In the beginning of this neck issue he couldn’t do that at night he would panic. As the days went he was able to right himself more and more during the day but panic at night until we left a red light on that helped him orient himself. 2 nights 3 days of no wry neck and bam one epi
That's what I figured. Does she not have a better healthier cockerel that can replace him?
Sorry, but this is not a bird I would choose for a breeding program. Too many issues at such a young age. Not being harsh, but if you breed with weakness you end up with weakness.
No she does not have a better boy. The other boy has pink in the mouth a huge No no for an Ayam Cemani. These birds are expensive! His initial fall was I’m assuming from his sour crop. I don’t even know how long it was sour/impacted. I concluded his wry neck was due to lack of nourishment. If his crop was sour for awhile he was basically ridden with yeast infection causing all food if any to not get to his body. He was super weak. After we fixed the crop he was great. I didn’t think to give him any added vitamins aside from rooster booster in the water. I put him back with the others. He walked normal again no leg issues. He ran etc. he went from being a drunken roo unable to have the strength to stand to running around. Then the wry neck. He looked like he was having seizures as he was flopping around on the poop board. As a matter of fact I thought he was dying! So we brought him in and gave the vitamins. But again the leg was injured. He walks around and gets around I just wondered if there was something I could do for the leg. Im Pretty sure none of this is “weakness” it’s issues all stemmed from impacted/sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom