A hot mess of issues!! From impacted/ sour crop to now seizure? Or maybe vitamin deficiency?

I see, well that stinks that she doesn't have a good replacement.

Check the leg over, he may have injured it while in the cage in the coop. Trembles, leg weakness, neurological symptoms generally are not associated with Sour Crop.

Hopefully he recovers and all will go well for you.

I see, well that stinks that she doesn't have a good replacement.

Check the leg over, he may have injured it while in the cage in the coop. Trembles, leg weakness, neurological symptoms generally are not associated with Sour Crop.

Hopefully he recovers and all will go well for you.
after his sour crop he was fine…no leg trembles. maybe I wasn’t clear on that? He had the wobbles and couldn’t get around. Then during his sour crop treatment he got stronger. When I put him outside he was flying, running, etc. no leg wobbles. Then after a couple days wry neck….he flopped around the poop board…what was happening was during the day his neck would curl under himself and he would flop over but was able to right himself. At night I believe he was disoriented and was unable to right himself.so we left a red light on and that helped…no more flopping. After the vitamin treatment he’s well. Still has a bit of neck curling under at night but not enough to warrant a red light as he quickly picks his head back up….and it’s maybe once or twice from what I can see. How is any of this neurological? Sour crop treatment he’s better….wry neck treatment he’s better…if this was neurological would he improve with Monistat and vitamins? Just trying to understand how u think it’s neurological….when what I see is totally different. When I noticed the sour crop it was nearly a week after his fall if that helps. So….for at least a week his crop was sour and he literally was malnourished….who knows how long it was actually sour.

So there’s no slipped tendon in the leg…could it be a sprain? It’s not warm and minimal swelling today. I’ve been giving vitamins and termeric. After eating all day his crop was empty at bedtime which I don’t know if it’s a good sign his crop is working or a bad sign that he’s not eating? Althonhis food is going down so he’s eating maybe just not a lot for his crop to get full but I do notice he’s eating every time I pull up the cam lol anywho what I decided to do was put a finger splint behind his leg and “tape” the bottom half so he can bend his ankle properly but the top piece stops the angle from going forward. We will see how he does in the morning. He wasn’t super impressed by it and told me all about it and attempted to pull it off lol could his knee possible be a sprain?

So 2 days with the splint on and it’s working as I had hoped it would. He stands with that leg as he should. The splint is allowing him to use it and at the same time stopping his ankle from bending forward. When I checked his leg over I could feel the tendon in the back and it felt loose” not sure if loose is the right word. And the swelling had gone down. It didnt feel warm. I’m continuing turmeric adding in his food. At night I’m not seeing any signs of his neck curling under himself So that’s a plus. This morning I allowed him out of his cage so it could be cleaned and the first thing he does is fly up to the roost and starts crowing his head off in satisfaction :) uploading a pic so y’all can see his leg lol we will continue turmeric as it seems to be helping with the swelling. I’ve discontinued use of vitamin e and b complex and started putting rooster booster in his water. He seems almost his normal self….just gotta heal that leg.

Attachments

• E18BA3FC-9C6D-43F4-AEF8-12138B6EE8BD.jpeg
    E18BA3FC-9C6D-43F4-AEF8-12138B6EE8BD.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 3
How is any of this neurological? Sour crop treatment he’s better….wry neck treatment he’s better…if this was neurological would he improve with Monistat and vitamins? Just trying to understand how u think it’s neurological….when what I see is totally different. When I noticed the sour crop it was nearly a week after his fall if that helps. So….for at least a week his crop was sour and he literally was malnourished….who knows how long it was actually sour.

I'm glad to read your bird is doing better; that's the news everyone here wants to hear, but I'm also responding to an earlier post of yours. Bear with me on this one.

To answer the question, "how is any of this nuerological?", look back to Eggcessive's and Wyorp Rock's posts. Wry Neck is a symptom of an underlying issue, those underlying issues being things like an injury to the head, genetic trait passed down, vitamin deficiencies, poisoning, metal toxicity, and the like. Crop Impactions, Slow Crop, Doughy Crop are often symptoms of a larger underlying condition too, things like poisoning will disrupt the GI tract, infections in the body cavity can cause swelling that puts pressure on parts of the GI tract restricting food passage, Liver and Heart failure could be at play. Mareks and Newcastles come to mind for me in your case, though you suggest they are not in play.

Other underlying issues could be a genetic predisposition to poor balance, possible genetic defects in neurological development, and/or he may suffer from an ongoing vitamin deficiency. Vitamin E and B-Complex vitamins are essential to good neurological development and functioning. If he's not getting enough (or can't process enough), he improves with treatment, but backslides when the therapeutic is removed.

Since we've dealt with another issue recently, I'll share this: After a recent bout with lead poisoning in one of our birds, I'd recommend a vet visit for your boy. We can speculate online for hours on end about symptoms and treatment avenues, but at the end of the day, only testing is going to tell you what afflicts him. My advice is to find out early via X-rays and Blood Work while time is more on your side.

Last, I would heed Wyorp Rock's advice to keep this bird out of the breeding pool or you risk passing negative traits to the offspring, hindering viability of the breed down the line. If this is something that is not genetic, like maybe bad feed, a short-term poisoning event, etc, then if he recovers you might consider breeding him. At the end of the day, only a vet with diagnostic capability is going to be able to filter this down for you.

I'm glad to read your bird is doing better; that's the news everyone here wants to hear, but I'm also responding to an earlier post of yours. Bear with me on this one.

To answer the question, "how is any of this nuerological?", look back to Eggcessive's and Wyorp Rock's posts. Wry Neck is a symptom of an underlying issue, those underlying issues being things like an injury to the head, genetic trait passed down, vitamin deficiencies, poisoning, metal toxicity, and the like. Crop Impactions, Slow Crop, Doughy Crop are often symptoms of a larger underlying condition too, things like poisoning will disrupt the GI tract, infections in the body cavity can cause swelling that puts pressure on parts of the GI tract restricting food passage, Liver and Heart failure could be at play. Mareks and Newcastles come to mind for me in your case, though you suggest they are not in play.

Other underlying issues could be a genetic predisposition to poor balance, possible genetic defects in neurological development, and/or he may suffer from an ongoing vitamin deficiency. Vitamin E and B-Complex vitamins are essential to good neurological development and functioning. If he's not getting enough (or can't process enough), he improves with treatment, but backslides when the therapeutic is removed.

Since we've dealt with another issue recently, I'll share this: After a recent bout with lead poisoning in one of our birds, I'd recommend a vet visit for your boy. We can speculate online for hours on end about symptoms and treatment avenues, but at the end of the day, only testing is going to tell you what afflicts him. My advice is to find out early via X-rays and Blood Work while time is more on your side.

Last, I would heed Wyorp Rock's advice to keep this bird out of the breeding pool or you risk passing negative traits to the offspring, hindering viability of the breed down the line. If this is something that is not genetic, like maybe bad feed, a short-term poisoning event, etc, then if he recovers you might consider breeding him. At the end of the day, only a vet with diagnostic capability is going to be able to filter this down for you.
thank u i understand what u are sayin...i guess my "point" was yes wry neck could be caused by many things. including neurological....and vitamin def. i feel since the heavy vitamin treatment he is "better" that i feel the wry neck was causedby vitamin def. i am stumped by the sour crop however theres also numerous things that could be caused from...one of which is impacted crop...which he had along with the sour crop. he was really weak and had lost alot of weight (hes not a friendly boy and hard to catch so we have no idea how long it was impacted/sour) so i would be inclined to believe the sour crop stemmed from impaction....why was it impacted who knows probably something he picked up. with the treatment of sour crop he gained his strength. but (again im taking a stab here) lack of actual nourishment for who knows how long he was malnourished....developed wry neck...which yes is caused my 1 of numerous things....i would have to be inclined to say in his case it was vitamin def. as with the vitamin treatment hes back to well. he had a few nights of a neck going under and him panicking only for a moment before he stood back up an last night he slept soundly all night no issues. so i would believe vitamin def. was the cause. as for his leg.....its obviously an injury....possibly during one of his neck curled under panic modes while he was flailing about. so the reason i questioned neurological was because with treatments for things other than neurological he has improved and is near his 100% recovered. of course once he has gained his weight back and is able to stand without a splint i would say hes 100%. so i guess by stopping the vitamin treatment i would know if its actually neurological or if it was just one thing led to another.
today hes out running with everyone else. until the daughter cleans his cage then he goes back to isolation. only time will tell. but i am positive it was literally just one thing led to another as far as his issues.

That is good to hear, and you know your birds better than the rest of us. We learned a painful lesson with a beloved little Silkie just this week, so I thought I'd chime in. I hope your boy continues to improve!

Update: it’s been a week or so since he’s been off his vitamin regimen…he’s well. He has returned to the flock during the day. I still worry about his falling off the roost at night so he sleeps in a cage with a roost an inch or so off the ground. It looks as though last night he didn’t fall at all (looking through events on the cam) he is still on the same spot all night. We will continue to keep him there at night. As for his leg there is no improvement…sorta. He walks, runs, jumps etc. perfectly fine. When he stands big and tall he stands on the toes causing the knee to bend forward. The splint aided in the stopping of this but unfortunately has not corrected it. I’m not sure it will. But I am currently happy with his progress. His ankle isn’t swollen or warm. It feels the same as the other. With this said do we still think it’s neurological or genetic? Or is this still only time will tell? Just curious as I’m still debating for breeding purposes. I don’t want to breed him if it’s something he could pass along. I also don’t want to buy another bird!

Another update. …hes still well. he still sleeps in a cage with a short roost. he sleeps fine until he hangs hisnhead down the his neck wriggles and he falls off. he often sleeps with his head tucked under his wing its when he deepnsleeps and itbhangs. that there is an issue. its almost as if the blood goes to his head and it either freaks him out or its causing an issue. dueingbthe day hes out and about and hes even tagged a couole girls. his leg isbstill wonkynbut with a splint he gets around well. even goes up to the 6ft roost outside. im going to start back to the turmeric as it may help with any inflammation he might have in his head. im still leaning towards a brain injury verses genetic….and a leg injurybfrom his fallingband flailing around when he had his neck issue..

Ok update in case someone else comes across this post looking for answers and wonders what has happened as I have so many times. Hulk is no longer sleeping alone in a cage with a short roost as he is no long falling off the roost. the tendons in his “ankle” (what one would think was a knee) Are not slipped they are loose. i feel his seizure like activity (wry neck) flailing about had caused injury to the legs and we were concerned more for his other conditions we did not realize he had injured himself. Upon readers here and speaking with other ppl in my “circle” I have decided to splint not just one but both legs. it is “taped” just below the ankle allowing it to bend in the proper direction but the top piece stops it from bending forward. It is my hope after a couple weeks or more of proper usage day to day it will strengthen and tighten the tendons. Other than that he gets along great and has actually taken a liking to a few girls ;)

Back
Top Bottom