A little confused please help!

Mccool321

Hatching
Apr 26, 2016
I got some Cinnamon Queens and what appears to be a Rhode Island Red Rooster. I have bred them and have chicks according to the sexability in cinnamon queens. Now I'm trying to sell the chicks and some have argued with me that I'm selling them falsely. As I don't want to mislead anyone I need help in figuring out what I'm doing lol

welcome-byc.gif

I would post this in the: Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection forum or the General breed discussions & FAQ forum. I'm pretty sure Red sexlinks (Cinnamon Queens are another name for them) are the result of crossing a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red male over White Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island White, Silver Laced Wyandotte, or Delaware females. I don't think you can cross a Red sex-link with a Rhode Island red and be able to get the same sexability as a Red sex-link. Also you said "I have bred them and have chicks according to the sexability in cinnamon queens" a chick is the name for any baby chicken, not the name of its gender.

Yes I know that chicks are babies lol. I posted in that forum thank you. The chicks are either yellow or brown and yellow according to the CQ chick sexing guide but I was told they couldn't be accurate unless the true crossing of breeds was done.

You'll loose the sex linking in the first cross. Only first generation crosses will have the sex linking traits. You have to cross a genetically red "rhode red/new hamp red/etc" rooster over a genetically silver "white rock/Delaware" hen to get the red sex linking.

Yup, cross breeds "mutts". They will be excellent layers though. But unfortunately not sexable at hatch.

Would red sexlinks as a name be non misleading? And how much older?

Last edited:
Would red sexlinks as a name be non misleading? And how much older?
I think labeling them as red sex links will make people think that they are sexable at hatch and are pullets if red and cockerels and yellow. You could put red sex link crosses, also I would definitely add a sign saying they are straight run.

Back
Top Bottom